Introducing new tortoises to each other

Dankneepowpow

Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
Hello Forum,

I am a proud owner of a thriving ~4 month old redfoot named Chevy. Chevy was off to a rough start due to some negligence from the breeder I got her from but with help from the forum Chevy has been growing and is extremely healthy. Her enclosure is set up with everything she needs (+80% humidity, +80 degrees F, humid hide, fresh water, good diet, daily soakings, etc.). The only thing I think Chevy could use that would be beneficial for her is some company from members of her own species. I know most tortoises are solitary animals but Redfoots are somewhat an exception to this rule from my understanding.View attachment 302697

I recently found an ad for a small redfooted tortoise ~8 months old and very similar in size to Chevy that was for sale. From looking at the pictures of this tortoise, I came to the conclusion that this tortoise is actually a Cherryhead due to some awesome marbling in its shell.
View attachment 302698 I’m very tempted to pick up this new tortoise as a companion for Chevy, but I do have some concerns that I wanted to float by the forum before I made a decision. It should be noted; if I were to pick up this new tortoise I would most definitely
quarantine it for a minimum of 4 months to make sure there were no possible illnesses that could potentially get lil’ Chevy sick. After the 4 month quarantine I would introduce the two tortoises in a new larger enclosure. It should also be noted that my final plan is to have 3 tortoises together since I know pairs are frowned upon, but at the moment I can only find this one other tort for sale.

my questions are:
1. Can Cherryheads and Redfoots Cohabitat?
2. If I cant find a third tortoise and these two end up being a pair, how detrimental will that be?
3. Do Redfoots even really need to have companions or do they do better on their own?
4. When introducing new tortoises is there some sort of prime time age where they are more likely to get along? Can they be too old for introductions?

If anyone has any additional advice when it comes to introducing tortoises to each other please let me know! Thanks everyone!
View attachment 302700

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
my questions are:
1. Can Cherryheads and Redfoots Cohabitat?
2. If I cant find a third tortoise and these two end up being a pair, how detrimental will that be?
3. Do Redfoots even really need to have companions or do they do better on their own?
4. When introducing new tortoises is there some sort of prime time age where they are more likely to get along? Can they be too old for introductions?
1. No. They should not be mixed. Keep like with like.
2. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Not any species, not any age. Trios or more can sometimes work, but not always.
3. No tortoise needs or wants other tortoises around. They tolerate it in some circumstances. Other tortoises are seen as territorial intruders and competitors for resources, not as companions.
4. No. It can be done anytime in with the right sexes and in the right way. Juveniles and babies are less likely to demonstrate overt fighting, but they will still show the subtle signs of territoriality that most people don't recognize.

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
1. No. They should not be mixed. Keep like with like.
2. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Not any species, not any age. Trios or more can sometimes work, but not always.
3. No tortoise needs or wants other tortoises around. They tolerate it in some circumstances. Other tortoises are seen as territorial intruders and competitors for resources, not as companions.
4. No. It can be done anytime in with the right sexes and in the right way. Juveniles and babies are less likely to demonstrate overt fighting, but they will still show the subtle signs of territoriality that most people don't recognize.

Thanks Tom! I had a feeling Redfoots and Cherryheads wouldn’t do well together and it’s good to get that confirmed. I’ve read a lot of conflicting opinions about Redfoots being herd animals and enjoying companionship. I want to give little Chevy the best life I can and thought maybe a few other members of his own kind would be good enrichment, but if the worst case scenario is them fighting possibly to the death, I don’t think that’s a risk worth taking.

I appreciate your feedback Tom, Mahalo!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom! I had a feeling Redfoots and Cherryheads wouldn’t do well together and it’s good to get that confirmed. I’ve read a lot of conflicting opinions about Redfoots being herd animals and enjoying companionship. I want to give little Chevy the best life I can and thought maybe a few other members of his own kind would be good enrichment, but if the worst case scenario is them fighting possibly to the death, I don’t think that’s a risk worth taking.

I appreciate your feedback Tom, Mahalo!
RFs do typically do well in groups, just not pairs. While it seems the majority of them get along well with their own species in groups, I frequently hear about the exceptions. @ZEROPILOT had a notable exception that he's posted about in the past. Maybe he'll see this tomorrow and chime in.

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
RFs do typically do well in groups, just not pairs. While it seems the majority of them get along well with their own species in groups, I frequently hear about the exceptions. @ZEROPILOT had a notable exception that he's posted about in the past. Maybe he'll see this tomorrow and chime in.
Awesome, good to know. Pairs beware! One more question I forgot to ask; is it possible for a red foot to have marbling or is marbling strictly pertain to cherry heads only? Thanks again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Awesome, good to know. Pairs beware! One more question I forgot to ask; is it possible for a red foot to have marbling or is marbling strictly pertain to cherry heads only? Thanks again!
Someone more experienced than me with both types will have to answer that.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Only Cherryheads marble.
But it might be possible for a hybrid to also marble.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most Redfoot do well in groups of at least 3 females per male. Or in groups of young individuals that are not sexually mature. Or in groups that consist of all females. (this is what I have)
But occasionally you'll encounter an individual that must be kept alone for behavior reasons.
I also think that if you had a large enough enclosure you could keep immature Redfoot and Cherryhead together. Once they've been individually quarantined for a few months, like you should do before you introduce ANY new tortoises.
But I would not keep adults of the two together. I have no first hand knowledge about keeping even just females together of both species.
Lastly, even Redfoot are not "herd" animals.
They are always better kept singularly.
Better for them. Easier for you.
Keeping multiples requires a large outdoor area.
I wouldn't even begin to think about it without one.

Last edited:

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Most Redfoot do well in groups of at least 3 females per male. Or in groups of young individuals that are not sexually mature. Or in groups that consist of all females. (this is what I have)
But occasionally you'll encounter an individual that must be kept alone for behavior reasons.
I also think that if you had a large enough enclosure you could keep immature Redfoot and Cherryhead together. Once they've been individually quarantined for a few months, like you should do before you introduce ANY new tortoises.
But I would not keep adults of the two together. I have no first hand knowledge about keeping even just females together of both species.
Lastly, even Redfoot are not "herd" animals.
They are always better kept singularly.
Better for them. Easier for you.
Keeping multiples requires a large outdoor area.
I wouldn't even begin to think about it without one.
Thanks for the knowledge drop! Looks like I’ll be keeping lil Chevy by herself for the time being. If in the future I do decide to get more redfooots I’ll make sure I have the proper space for them to live comfortably and that the new introductions are female and I get at least 3 more!
For now I’m content knowing my single tortoise is plenty happy by herself and isn’t craving companionship, that was my main concern. Thanks again for the insight!