Introducing new tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanShotFirst

5 Year Member
Hey guys,
I currently have red footed tortoise named Maui. She has about a 9 inch Straight Line-carapace Length and hangs out in an indoor inclosure all by herself. My wife recently purchased another red footed tortoise to become friends with Maui. It is still very young with a SCL of about 4inches. Right now that one is on quarantine in a separate box. It is eating very well the past few days. I want to introduce them soon but I am uncertain whether or not I should because of the size difference. Will the big one trample over the little one? or should I get a separate inclosure for the two of them? any advice/tips would be helpful. Thanks!

HanShotFirst

5 Year Member
[split]Adding Another Redfoot

I have had a red footed tortoise for 3 years. My wife recently bought her a roommate (another red footed). The older one has a straight-line carapace length of 9 inches the other. the new one has a SCL of 4 inches. Is the size difference OK to but them together in the same inclosure? or should i wait til the little one gets bigger?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
RE: Tortoise Roommates?

I have had a red footed tortoise for 3 years. My wife recently bought her a roommate (another red footed). The older one has a straight-line carapace length of 9 inches the other. the new one has a SCL of 4 inches. Is the size difference OK to but them together in the same inclosure? or should i wait til the little one gets bigger?

I would set up two individual enclosures....this is almost a double the size difference...also, a pair does not usually do well...also, you should have at least a 6 month quarantine time....(I personally would not put them together for at least a year, but others seem to like 3 and 6 month time frames)...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You should wait for any meeting for at least 6 months quarantine...also remember that pair rarely ever do well---one will pester the other and sometimes this will become very dangerous...also, the size difference is important...

Status
Not open for further replies.