Introducing Itzl Roja

jackmeggers

Location (City and/or State)
Hampton Roads, Va
Good morning! As some of you who read/responded to my thread "To Redfoot or not to Redfoot?" already know I adopted (with my partner in crime/boyfriend) a 2 year old female (I think) Redfoot last night. She is lovely and I'm working on figuring out where abouts her markings tell me she is from. I adopted get from a sweet well meaning family who had her in a too small aquarium better suited for a lizard. No place to hide, no soaking dish. They fed her ZooMed jungle but gave her corn and string beans as well. She has been moved into a larger living space, with proper humidity and an out door enclosure being planned for spring. Will be posting some closer pics for identification later. Without further ado... Miss Itzl Roja :)

Attachments

• 1391538474243.jpg
    1391538474243.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 120

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Very cool. And I love all that sphagnum! :D

Post pics of her belly to help with identification. But chances are she'll be a mix.. can't pinpoint exact location.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looks like she has had some major changes happening to her. :D

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Isn't she beautiful? I bought one bag of moss. and later thought "it is not enough" but have left over lol. If I could go back I would put more top soil for burrowing, but she likes to dig into the moss in her hide.

Here are some pictures of her playing "hide and go get me some mango", her eating the mango after winning the game, and her plastron. Her legs have salmon red, almost orange patches and her head has pearly yellow-ish orange patches. Her carapace is coffee brown. :)

Oops I posted her eating zucchini, not mango. I swear I know the difference ;-)

Attachments

• DSC_0108.JPG
    DSC_0108.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
  • DSC_0106.JPG
    DSC_0106.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 94
  • DSC_0100.JPG
    DSC_0100.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 85

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
She definitely is beautiful. I'm a sucker for mango/orange colored reds. She's also on the dry side but that can be remedied with daily soaks until you see her self-soaking. Congrats again!

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Thank you, she has been walking around in the bed while we watch her and try to get her used to us. We gave here bath yesterday and she drink some today but didn't soak, so the bf is off to do his fave thing: bath time! Enjoy are gonna soak them both. No scrubbing today, just soaking. She is staring at me but seems calm. Lol

After her bath, a rare close up.

Again wrong photo, need to learn to preview when posting with my phone. Here is the one I meant to post, it shows her leg colors well.
DSC_000001.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0110.JPG
    DSC_0110.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Now that she is getting a little more used to us, we can examine her better. Her nasal passages look good and her eyes look ok, but she has some air bubbles coming out at the sides. Not milky or anything, just air bubbles. Thoughts?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I believe that should be nothing to worry about. Let her settle in for a few more days and if it continues or there's milky or thicker discharge/bubbles, then you can worry. Double check the temps just in case.

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
That's along the lines i was thinking, just looks like air bubbles. She is snuggled into the corner now with some moss. Hasn't eaten a bunch, but that's fairly normal. She currently has mixed greens, zucchini, mango and ZooMed jungle variety soaked in freshly pureed tomato juice available to her. I sent a picture of her in her new home to the mom of the teen I got her from. She said the boys would be glad to know "he" was happy. They had called "him" Sheldon. Which I don't oppose as a name, but decided to change anyway.

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
The enclosure looks amazing! Beautiful tortoise!! You've done a fabulous job and congrats on your new addition [TURTLE][HEAVY BLACK HEART]️

bellamia

5 Year Member
Congrats ! Very sweet , she is lucky to have you as her new mommy. :)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
IMHumbleO you have a redfoot from the western locale.. that is the purpose of this thread is it not?

Work on getting a lid on the enclosure.. turn that 'hide' about 45 degrees away from the light and move the lights and food/water dish to the opposite end. Any idea what the temps and humidity is?

The 'hide' should be on one end [ in the dark.. you don't sleep with the lights on do you? ] and the food/water dish should be on the other end under the lights - love all that spag. moss!!!

You had all the stuff.. just needed to rearrange a little.

And BTW.. too small to determine sex yet. "They always look like females until they turn into males at 7+" SCL.. or about" !

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Thanks nerd. The temps are where they should be and it has a lid. She sleeps under the moss anyway so the lights don't bother her. Compared to the 40 gal, reptibark enclosure with no soaking dish that she was in before... I think she is pretty happy.

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
I don't have any pictures, because the fog doesn't photograph well and I hadn't had time to break out my DSLR, but I added some major humidity to Itzl's enclosure this week. I found one of the huge (2 gal) frog shaped humidifiers by crane at a thrift store for $6.25 then bought some tubing for another $7 and voila!! Humidity up the wazooh! She loves it and so do the cat grass seeds which have begun sprouting like crazy and are already up to 2 inches easily. I haven't heard her wheezing once since we added it. I think she is very happy between that and her discovery of the ever tasty mushrooms :D I have a happy Red foot on my hands and that makes me a happy momma.