Intro :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maine, USA
988352_10200887567144828_460532820_n[1].jpg184518_10200682036806698_1970766938_n[1].jpghumphreyetta.jpgslick.jpg Hello all! My name's LeAndra, and after being a creep and admiring everyone's lovely pets and doing tortoise/turtle research of my own and keep being lead to links to threads on this page I figured why not register!

As yet, I've not owned a tortoise, simply because I live in Maine, and short of purchasing them online and hoping they come in alive it is almost impossible to find a tortoise in this state -____- Also, I have a curious 3 year old son, and a baby girl on the way so I'm (impatiently) putting my tortoise hunt on hold (wah)

BUT- I do have experience with aquatic turtles, and a slight obsession with anything turtle/tortoise. I'm 19 years old and have been fascinated with turtles since I was probably 6. I was a 11 when I got my first pet turtle, she was a common musk turtle (stinkpot), and was named Humphrey (Humphrietta upon learning her gender), and was a total sweetheart, A local pet store told me and my family that she was a protected Spotted turtle, or Snapping turtle (she clearly was neither) and recommended that I purchase a RES and release her. Well, I'd already fallen in love and she was happy and healthy in the huge partly see-through long 60-something gallon Rubbermaid-turned-turtle home set up that I had her in, but my dad got the RES (enter Slick) anyway, and the two lived happily ever after for about 6 years. They're now working on year two in my neighbors large turtle pond, Humphrey stays in the pond year-round and has reached her maturity and laid her first clutch this year, and Slick over-winter's inside in a 75 gallon tank. They briefly had two hatchling snapping turtle companions, who also now live in the pond with them, along with a mama snapper who keeps to herself, 4 female EPT's who've all laid this year, and 2 male EPT's.

This spring my step-father assisted me in going against my mother and rescuing what we thought was a released pet (EPT) who was wandering around in the road no where near the only pond for 20+ miles, I scooped her up and she happily kept her head out to be scratched under the chin and talked to, my son has named her Wendy, and she eats out of my hand, but refuses to eat fish (feeder guppies from adult sized to newly born babies, they breed in the tank and all feed together, even when she refused to eat reptomin, crickets, earth worms, etc) She laid a few eggs, at least one was fertile so she had to have been wild or kept with a male, but chose to lay them in the water rather than laying in a huge nesting container, or when she was let outside (supervised) to nest. The first and only fertile egg I caught her lay and quickly removed and set up an incubation area, and now a month and a half at least later the egg is starting to turn whitish, and has been handled only to check that it wasn't going bad, and to shine a light to the egg and reveal veins and the dark spot of baby turtle. She waited another few weeks and laid the remainder of eggs also in her tank, which she ate (yuck).

Anywho, I'm starting to ramble now so I'll just close with saying eventually I'll have a tortoise, but for now I've had 1 Common Musk, 1 RES, 2 Common Snapper Hatchlings, and 1 EPT & I'm looking forward to learning more and sharing what I've learned with everyone else!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*waves* I love reading long (as you say, rambling) into posts because we learn so much about you right from the start. Welcome!

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi and welcome :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi LeAndra, and welcome to the Forum!!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Hello and welcome to the forum! My daughter and I just saved a turttle that looked a lot like this one last Sunday. It was in the middle of the road and lucky for it, my daughter drove right over it without hitting it. So she stopped and I grab'd it up and took it to a little stream and released it. Poor little guy got a lucky break this time! Have a great day!!

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Just wanted to say welcome to the forum! It's hard to pick which turtle or tortoise to go with, so I have both! Good luck with your decision. Going through this forum with help you in your decision at least.

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Maine, USA
Thankyou :) I would have released her but I was convinced she was a pet! Anyway. She's a wonderful pet now haha :) your little guy did get a lucky break! & @ grandpaturtle my three year old son adores all animals. And his faves are reptiles particularly turtles and tortoises :b

Sent from my HTC Hero S using TortForum mobile app

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well just please ensure with all turtles and torts he has to wash his hands a lot for his sack and the turtles:)

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Maine, USA
Oh he definitely does :) since I've had complications in ny pregnancy recently he hasn't held her as much, but he helps me feed her and they just love it, I swear she has the personality of a cat or dog not a turtle haha :)

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Welcome, great into and not rambling, but rather interesting.
You are gonna learn a lot on here and that will be great for whatever tort you decide on eventually, but it will make choosing harder. Especially once you start looking at everyone's wonderful pictures! Good luck!
Congrats on baby two as well. Hope it's a nice easy delivery for you b

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Maine, USA
Thanks I'm already getting over excited reading and seeing pictures from everyone! & thanks I hope so too, my son was a breeze only four hours of labor and pushed for an hour :b

Status
Not open for further replies.