Intro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotherOfPearl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
western North Carolina

Hey y'all

I'm new to the site, and an even newer first-time tortoise mommy.
I live in western North Carolina (the mountainous region). Very warm, very humid, plenty of rain this time of year. I am currently a student studying Simulation and Game Development/Animation... so I essentially have no life, haha, and I'm always at home and on a computer.

My new Eastern Hermann's Tortoise hatchling just arrived a few days ago (her name is Pearl-- the breeder said it's most likely a girl due to the hatching temp; if Pearl turns out to be a boy, I guess I'll call him Porl - after Porl Thompson of The Cure :p). She's around 3 weeks old. I'm housing her primarily indoors, although I plan to let her go outdoors on sunny days (it has rained all week so I haven't been able to take her outside so far - but I have a UVB/UVA lamp, heat lamp, and night lamp for indoors). I have the Zoo Med Tortoise House and a vivarium.

I've been preparing and reading vigorously in order to be the best mommy possible. The more I read, however, the more questions I feel I have! Which is why I'm here now :) This seems like a stellar community with incredibly helpful members who appear to go above and beyond to assist and advise one another. I have only been reading posts so far (for a few weeks), but I'm already impressed with TFO ;)

Please forgive my nubian status -- I'm just learning and I have a genuine desire to give Pearl a happy, healthy home, and to learn as much as I can about tortoises as a species and keeping them as pets.

Nice to meet you!
- Hayley :tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hello Hayley and welcome!! How did you decide on a Hermanni?

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Welcome Hayley! So cool to see a female getting into the game industry!

My fiance studied game design for awhile, but I think he'll eventually graduate as computer sci.

We'd love to see pictures of Pearl!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Hayley and welcome to TFO And you will enjoy the Hermanni . They are very frendley,I enjoy my 7

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Hello Haley and Pearl and welcome to "The Wonderful World of Torts"!

MotherOfPearl

5 Year Member
western North Carolina
Beck said:
Welcome Hayley! So cool to see a female getting into the game industry!

My fiance studied game design for awhile, but I think he'll eventually graduate as computer sci.

We'd love to see pictures of Pearl!

I'm definitely the only girl in my classes, which isn't always as fun as it may sound haha ;) That's awesome that he's doing Comp Sci -- I'm jealous, IMO it's the best field to get into right now, and probably will be for very long to come (he will never want for employment!)! And (he probably knows this already) he can also still have a career in video games with a Comp sci degree/background-- the industry LOVES programmers! I enjoy comp sci as well but aside from binary I really hate math, and I really hope to eventually land a job as an artist/animator since art is my first love.

Oh and here's a picture of Pearl eating some greens (and her first Dandelion - yay for western NC rain!) this morning.

30de8pc.jpg

:tort:

MotherOfPearl

5 Year Member
western North Carolina
Maggie and Torie the Tort said:
Hello, welcome to the forum! What made you decide on a Hermanns?

I'll just copy my answer to Jacqui from above, she actually had the same question:

Well, I knew I didn't want an aquatic turtle, but I really knew nothing about pet tortoises. So I began to read up on the most commonly kept species to learn about their needs -- and how big they can grow! Based on care requirements, sizes, and the fact that I am a beginner, I eventually narrowed it down to a Hermann's or a Russian Tortoise. At that point I wanted to know what owners themselves had to say. I actually believe I read a few posts on here, and all the testimonials regarding personality and temperament really made me lean towards a Hermann's. In fact, I even read one statement by someone who was experienced with both species; they said they enjoyed both but felt that Hermann's were more personable. I also watched tons of videos of pet Hermann's as well, and I was just blown away by how outgoing the seemed to be!

I haven't been disappointed. Pearl isn't bashful AT ALL. She's incredibly friendly, not skittish in the least, and she now crawls right into my hand if I lay it out for her. This morning she also ate from my hand for the first time :rolleyes:

Maggie and Torie the Tort

5 Year Member
USA
haleswashurr said:
Maggie and Torie the Tort said:
Hello, welcome to the forum! What made you decide on a Hermanns?

I'll just copy my answer to Jacqui from above, she actually had the same question:

Well, I knew I didn't want an aquatic turtle, but I really knew nothing about pet tortoises. So I began to read up on the most commonly kept species to learn about their needs -- and how big they can grow! Based on care requirements, sizes, and the fact that I am a beginner, I eventually narrowed it down to a Hermann's or a Russian Tortoise. At that point I wanted to know what owners themselves had to say. I actually believe I read a few posts on here, and all the testimonials regarding personality and temperament really made me lean towards a Hermann's. In fact, I even read one statement by someone who was experienced with both species; they said they enjoyed both but felt that Hermann's were more personable. I also watched tons of videos of pet Hermann's as well, and I was just blown away by how outgoing the seemed to be!

I haven't been disappointed. Pearl isn't bashful AT ALL. She's incredibly friendly, not skittish in the least, and she now crawls right into my hand if I lay it out for her. This morning she also ate from my hand for the first time :rolleyes:

That is same reason why I got a Hermann's, and I love my Hermann!!! so true She/he (my Hermann) is nowhere near bashful! Torie will even eat calcium right off my finger!

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Welcome Hayley, I love to hear how other tortoises behave and I teract with humans. I have 3 sulcatas so I don't really know about yours. Sorry :0(
I just wanted to welcome you :0))

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Re: RE: Intro.

haleswashurr said:
I'm definitely the only girl in my classes, which isn't always as fun as it may sound haha ;) That's awesome that he's doing Comp Sci -- I'm jealous, IMO it's the best field to get into right now, and probably will be for very long to come (he will never want for employment!)! And (he probably knows this already) he can also still have a career in video games with a Comp sci degree/background-- the industry LOVES programmers! I enjoy comp sci as well but aside from binary I really hate math, and I really hope to eventually land a job as an artist/animator since art is my first love.

Oh and here's a picture of Pearl eating some greens (and her first Dandelion - yay for western NC rain!) this morning.

Pearl is so cute! I love her markings.

I know what you mean about poor male to female ratios. I got my engineering degree from Georgia Tech, and although every year they have their biggest female entering class ever, you wouldn't know it in some of the classrooms. Are you seriously the only girl in the majority of your classes? You must be a upper classman.

The industry does love programmers. Everyone loves programmers. ;)

I wish you the best of luck in getting your dream job. Intern as much as you can during your schooling, ever if it means lengthening your time in college, if you can afford it. Work experience is so important. It will give you a big leap when you graduate.

Enjoy Pearl! She's adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.