Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

JinsuneHite

5 Year Member
Hello people, my name is Jinsune. I've been around tortoises and Reptiles for as long as I've been alive. My mom worked at a pet shop. We ran an iguana rescue out of our home in Apache Junction AZ. So, about five years ago I was walking home from the store when I noticed a tortoise walking In the middle of the road. So I ran out infront of a truck and picked the little fellow up... Thus began my adventure with a rescued Sulcata named Tortuga. Now at first I was rather surprised because I'd never come across one before. He has had a happy life ever since and is now entering breeding size and getting bigger. I of course have no objections I love my Sulcata and plan to keep him for as long as he's still Mowing my back yard. I never knew that an animal like a tortoise could bring so much joy to my life, and yet be so self sufficient. I love in Mesa Arizona, and actually temperatures are topping 115 and Tortuga is sitting in the back yard next to me in his "mid puddle" flipping mid on himself. In winter we bring him inside and out him in a big bath rub that we have and cover him up since temperatures outside get to about 50 or 60 too cold for my sulcata Buddie. So he just goes dormant all winter and wakes and eats every thing insite when spring comes around. That's my intro thanks to anyone who reads it. And just ask if you want to hear a little more in depth about Tortugas life growing up. -Jin

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jin:

Welcome to the Forum!!

I've heard quite a few other people say they allow their sulcatas to go dormant during the winter. I've always been afraid to try it. I keep all my non-hibernating tortoises warm and eating during the winter, in heated sheds outside.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rome, OH
JinsuneHite said:
Hello people, my name is Jinsune. I've been around tortoises and Reptiles for as long as I've been alive. My mom worked at a pet shop. We ran an iguana rescue out of our home in Apache Junction AZ. So, about five years ago I was walking home from the store when I noticed a tortoise walking In the middle of the road. So I ran out infront of a truck and picked the little fellow up... Thus began my adventure with a rescued Sulcata named Tortuga. Now at first I was rather surprised because I'd never come across one before. He has had a happy life ever since and is now entering breeding size and getting bigger. I of course have no objections I love my Sulcata and plan to keep him for as long as he's still Mowing my back yard. I never knew that an animal like a tortoise could bring so much joy to my life, and yet be so self sufficient. I love in Mesa Arizona, and actually temperatures are topping 115 and Tortuga is sitting in the back yard next to me in his "mid puddle" flipping mid on himself. In winter we bring him inside and out him in a big bath rub that we have and cover him up since temperatures outside get to about 50 or 60 too cold for my sulcata Buddie. So he just goes dormant all winter and wakes and eats every thing insite when spring comes around. That's my intro thanks to anyone who reads it. And just ask if you want to hear a little more in depth about Tortugas life growing up. -Jin

How big was Tortuga when you saved him? He is very lucky you came along!

Status
Not open for further replies.