Intro, hoping to add a little tort to the family!

MKMORPHS

Location (City and/or State)
CEDAR PARK, TX
Hi! My name is Marissa, and I am co-owner of MK Morphs. I am 25 years old and currently living in the Austin, Tx area and LOVING it here. I am a recent transplant from Florida, and Texas is everything I didn't know I needed.
I have been keeping snakes/lizards/amphibians for the last four and a half years, but I have yet to personally keep a tort. However, I do have about a year and a half of experience caring for red foots, sulcatas, and russian torts at a locally owned pet store that I used to work at in Florida.

I have always wanted a tortoise, but never knew where I would end up and didn't want to get in over my head having a tortoise that I wasn't going to be able to properly care for. Now that we are getting settled, and even though we are currently renting we know we want to put down roots here in TX, the timing seems better for a little tortoise.

I havent been able to get them off of my mind! I find myself googling care sheets and browsing classifieds, trying to figure out basic start up costs and which species might be best for me and my family.

I have always found forums to be the best place to learn, and learn from people who have been keeping and breeding these animals for many years, and can offer far better advice than any care sheet or book.

So, at this time I know that I am at least a few months, if not longer, from adding a little one to the family, we do already have a LOT on our plate, but I want to start learning, get prepared, and do what I can to make sure my future tort will be well taken care of.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome! It's great you're starting to learn early. A lot of us get ahead of ourselves and buy the wrong equipment, THEN find this forum (myself included)

All up to date information is here no matter what tortoise you choose, and we have quite a few members from Texas. Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Marissa and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I believe that this is the very best place for the most up to date tortoise information available and home to people with many,many years of experience of caring for and breeding tortoises.
I also know that most pet shops (and not saying yours was one of them), have old and out of date methods designed more for selling than care.
Equally, a lot of care sheet info out there, as well as some of the forums are still giving now outdated information.
Have a look at the species specific sections and the care sheets here and see what you think.
Enjoy.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome Marissa!! You definitely came to the place and we are very active and quick to respond to questions! Have fun researching your first little guy!
Are you thinking a baby or an older tortoise?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
First you should zero in on the species so we can help you get the correct set up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Marissa!

MKMORPHS

CEDAR PARK, TX
Thanks everyone! I am excited to start learning. I'm almost grateful of the fact that it will probably be at least 2016 before a tortoise joins our family, gives me plenty of time to learn.

As far as baby versus older, I would prefer to start out with a hatchling. One of my favorite things about being a part of the reptile community is raising animals from young babies to healthy adults!

Yes, choosing which species I want to have is going to be the first, and probably hardest, decision to make! I work at a call center, so in between calls I will probably browse around, ask a whole lot of newbie questions, and learn as much as I can.

You all seem very welcoming, which is refreshing. There are a lot of groups within the reptile community that can be very stand-offish, and I'm glad I'm not getting that feeling here. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks everyone! I am excited to start learning. I'm almost grateful of the fact that it will probably be at least 2016 before a tortoise joins our family, gives me plenty of time to learn.

As far as baby versus older, I would prefer to start out with a hatchling. One of my favorite things about being a part of the reptile community is raising animals from young babies to healthy adults!

Yes, choosing which species I want to have is going to be the first, and probably hardest, decision to make! I work at a call center, so in between calls I will probably browse around, ask a whole lot of newbie questions, and learn as much as I can.

You all seem very welcoming, which is refreshing. There are a lot of groups within the reptile community that can be very stand-offish, and I'm glad I'm not getting that feeling here. :)
We love new victims..... er members, and you are very welcome.
Ask away, there's usually someone about who can help.

Myroli

Welcome I also live in Texas and just recently joined this forum right before I got my hatchling sully, the people here are great and will answer any question you could possibly think of, and they do it with a smile:)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Hello Marissa welcome to the TFO from Ohio. Be aware that hatchlings require specialized care so getting an older one that needs a home is good too! They learn to recognize you soon enough. If you have the time and money for closed chamber setups for your hatchling then great but they require daily soaks, feeds and constant heat and humidity checks. Not to scare you off...Just being realistic.

When I was researching which species I liked I just asked myself what I liked and didn't like about them? I wanted something unique(conversation starter), large, and fun! I DIDN'T want something distructive or a climber. That narrowed down the field quite a bit. Then I chose and ordered from someone that luckily sent me live tortoises even though no one here had known of them. I hadn't heard of this forum yet. I honestly don't know how my tortoises arrived alive. :( You are very lucky that there are many here who will give you good reviews on different places to go to get your tortoise.

Have fun! Be prepared to own more than 1 in the near future! They're addictive!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi I had no idea what was involved in keeping a tortoise when I was adopted by my poor lost soul - I was totally unprepared, but thanks to all the great people here, who only have the best interests of torts at heart, I have learnt (and still learning) a lot. So read, search and ask questions so that when you get yours you will be as ready as you can be. Welcome

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Marissa and welcome from Round Rock, TX (just little North from your place). I was going to start a thread looking for more REDFOOT or tortoise in general keepers I our area for local support. Glad to have you!