Intro and pics of my Pyxis

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFrederick

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I also posted this to the introduction forum.
I am a new member of the forum, but have been keeping Torts for a number of years. I look forward to conversing with all of you.
I'm located in Massachusetts USA and so am mostly limited to indoor enclosures and smaller species.
Here are some picks of my 2.1 CB Spider tortoises (P. a. brygooi) I have had since they were babies. The female is on the left.
I got my first two eggs from them this year and they are in the incubator. Curious to me, the female laid both eggs together at the same time. All that I have read indicates they usually only lay one at a time. I know incubation can be tricky with these guys so I have been following the "cool down" regimen I have read about here and elsewhere. Hopefully I have good luck.

NewPictures255.jpg

NewPictures249.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They're so pretty. I hope the eggs hatch.

We have a member here who keeps and (I think) raises these tortoises - Tim/Robin. They have quite a bit of experience and I'm sure would be glad to talk to you.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That is a beautiful bunch for sure....I am always curious of what folks feed (I know, weird) and if I can id all the goodies then I have to ask...what is on the menu here in this pic? If of course you don't mind :p

BFrederick

5 Year Member
ascott said:
That is a beautiful bunch for sure....I am always curious of what folks feed (I know, weird) and if I can id all the goodies then I have to ask...what is on the menu here in this pic? If of course you don't mind :p

No problem.
It is rehydrated "Healthy Herp Veggie Mix" from San Francisco Bay Brand. It has various greens, flowers, vegetables and cactus pieces in it. I give it to them once or twice per week. They really like it.
Their normal diet is a mix of various greens (spring mix) which I dust with a calcium/multivitamin once a week. I also give them Mazuri tortoise pellets every so often.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Awesome animals!! Good luck with the eggs. We have yet to get any P a brygooi eggs as ours are still juveniles. I really hope they hatch for you. There is no doubt there needs to be more Pyxis breeding in captivity. I would love to know their blood lines. Where did you get them? PM me if you would rather not post in public. It is always good to have another Pyxis keeper here.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
Thumbs up!
Don't their eggs require similar requirements as radiated's? A cool down period first, and then a lengthy incubation period.

BFrederick

5 Year Member
cueboy007 said:
Thumbs up!
Don't their eggs require similar requirements as radiated's? A cool down period first, and then a lengthy incubation period.

Yes, what I believe most people do and what I am trying is incubating warm for a couple months, incubate cool for a couple months, and then incubate warm again for a few months until hatching
Apparently they need the cool down to get development started. This tries to mimic the seasonal change in their natural environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.