Intrested in getting a Tortoise which one would be best?

ShelbyAnn

Location (City and/or State)
Orange, TX
Hello!
I have been wanting a tortoise for years now but have been waiting because I wanted my son to get a bit older so he could be apart of the experience in raising it. I have been looking at getting a Russian but was wanting to make sure if it would be right for me. I live in southeast texas right now but maybe moving to Kentucky in the future. I would like for it to be able to live in a outside enclosure once it gets old enough.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Russian tortoises are really amazing animals. I 100% recommend them. They are more common in the pet trade, have a great personality, and are more cheaper than many other tortoises. Be sure to get it from a good source where it won't have loads of pinworms, respiratory infections or any other problems.

If you want a baby from a breeder, that's awesome but just make sure you know everything about hatchling care; it's very specific. If you want a medium sized wild caught adult from online or the pet store, be aware that it may be full of pinworms or sick, many people on here don't support pet store purchases for good reason. You also are supporting the importation of wild tortoises (but that's a different discussion lol, I'm on the middle of the debate on pet store purchases, I can see both sides)

I also have seen how the indoor russian tortoise is a completely different tortoise than the outdoor russian. The personality is completely different. Indoors mine will sleep most of the day, after having basked a little and eaten a bit of their grocery store greens (indoors they refuse to eat so many other foods) Outdoors, they will eat anything I give them, they will have a set schedule coming out morning and afternoon, basking, grazing, walking around, it's so awesome seeing them outdoors and watch their personality shine.

If you're from the semi arid part of Southern Texas, that's awesome for a russian tortoise once it's old enough. I'm not familiar with the climate of Texas, but if you're in the part that's humid and a subtropical climate, that's also awesome. I live in Florida and my Russians are outside March-November and they thrive. I'm also not so familiar with the climate of Kentucky but I'm sure during the Summer months it will be great for a russian.

Good luck in your choice!

ShelbyAnn

Orange, TX
Thanks! I have been looking and searching around for information about them and watched videos on how others set up and care for them. The reason why I was thinking Russian is because I have read they burrow and hibernate in winter when outside to withstand cold temperatures as long as it's not below teens but wasnt to sure about that. So with it being a smaller tortoise I could bring it inside for winter months if I have to easily. I live right by the gulf coast right now in texas but I would be somewhere by the fort Knox base if I move to Kentucky. I'm looking at getting a hatchling or at least a month or two old one from a breeder and reputable seller. I read a few sad stories of people getting them from petshops or places that capture them.

Last edited:

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Thanks! I have been looking and searching around for information about them and watched videos on how others set up and care for them. The reason why I was thinking Russian is because I have read they burrow and hibernate in winter when outside to withstand cold temperatures as long as it's not below teens but wasnt to sure about that. So with it being a smaller tortoise I could bring it inside for winter months if I have to easily. I live right by the gulf coast right now in texas but I would be somewhere by the fort Knox base if I move to Kentucky. I'm looking at getting a hatchling or at least a month or two old one from a breeder and reputable seller. I read a few sad stories of people getting them from petshops or places that capture them.
That's cool, and yep they can hibernate but i'd personally wait a couple years after purchase until letting them. Post pics if you end up getting one!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd recommend a hermanni. They will do well in the humidity where you are now, and either species should be fine in Kentucky with the right enclosure and shelter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
eastern or western?
Either. Easterns are by by easier to find and cheaper. They also get a little larger, and I'm told are a little more outgoing. Westerns sure are pretty though.

Tortoise newbee

Los Angeles County
Russians are the best. Have a 5 month old. Make sure if indoors that you use a soft, natural substrate like loose coconut fiber by Zoo Med. I was sold Repti bark and she could not dig or burrow. Russians must be able to do these behaviors to be happy.

ShelbyAnn

Orange, TX
Russians are the best. Have a 5 month old. Make sure if indoors that you use a soft, natural substrate like loose coconut fiber by Zoo Med. I was sold Repti bark and she could not dig or burrow. Russians must be able to do these behaviors to be happy.
did you use just that or did you put soil in as well. I read and seen alot of people saying to you top soil in the enclosure.

Sa Ga

MN
Make sure you're ready for the commitment--if well cared for, they will likely outlive you!

They are A LOT of work (but worth every moment, expense, and worry!)--a lot of what we take for granted with our mammalian pets need careful monitoring for those of the reptile kind (temp/thermoregulation, hydration/ humidity, especially sensitive diets, lighting/UVB, calcium supplementation and metabolic bone disease, etc.) Even finding a TRULY knowledgeable and experienced Vet that regularly treats torts can be diffucult--and many of the diagnostics/exams are very expensive when needed. (I just spent over $500 on x-rays and bloodwork identifying an issues that if not done, would have killed her.) And going on vacation or out on business? Finding a place to board your tort or a competent babysitter can be a challenge.

And not least of all, being that your son is young, be prepared to be the primary (sole?) caretaker, as children's attn spans can be amazingly brief. Also, your son has a lot if life to live and can hardly know where his life will lead him--can he truly bring the little guy with always? Are you ok with it if he decides his adult (or even teen) interests don't include torts?

Please consider these things carefully before deciding. These wonderful animals are way too often bought and then neglected or abandoned.

However...if you do find it's right for you and your son, by all means...RISSIAN TORT ALL THE WAY! ?❤

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
If I could just have one and was looking for an easy, tough, and personable tortoise, then it would be a Russian.

Jamie

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
There is a lot of outdated information about torts around so now you have found TFO which is full of up to date information and shared experiences then concentrate your research here. Torts are a very long term commitment so you are right to find out all the facts first.
There are caresheets for most species so you can read those and see which best suits your circumstances.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/ will also help you avoid common problems and keepers are always willing to answer questions while you are deciding if a tort is for you.

Sa Ga

MN
P.S. Make sure where you are is totally appropriate for outdoor hibernation when you do finally put the little guy outside, and do an extensive vet exam (including bloodwork, etc.) bf to make sure he/she is ready. Hibernation is actually very hard on them and you'll even see in this forum a number of incidences where they didn't make it.

ShelbyAnn

Orange, TX
Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes! I'm so excited I have been wanting to have a tortoise for a long time I just waited for my son to get a bit older so he could be apart of it. I am going to be the main care taker and I know the kind of commitment its take. I have a friend who his family has had one since he was a little boy and have talked to them alot about it as well before fully deciding to get one.

ShelbyAnn

Orange, TX
(Oops...I put my P.S in the actual original message space!)

P.S. Make sure where you are is totally appropriate for outdoor hibernation when you do finally put the little guy outside, and do an extensive vet exam (including bloodwork, etc.) bf to make sure he/she is ready. Hibernation is actually very hard on them and you'll even see in this forum a number of incidences where they didn't make it.
ahh ok. Do they need to hibernate? cause that is why I am getting a Russian because it will be easier to house indoors in winter if I have to.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
did you use just that or did you put soil in as well. I read and seen alot of people saying to you top soil in the enclosure.
Orchid bark works great for adults. Coco coir is my preferred substrate for little babies, but I switch them to orchid bark when they are about 3-4 inches long.

Bought-in-a-bag soil should never be used. There is no way to know what composted yard waste it is made of and it can sometimes be toxic. The manufacturer does not intend for live animals to be living on and in their soil in an enclosure. Their product is meant to house plants and be outside.

Hibernation is not dangerous, risky, or taxing if done correctly. Leaving them outside, subject to the cruel whims of Mother Nature, is not doing it correctly. Hibernation is a debatable subject filled with opinions on both sides. It is my opinion that if a species hibernates in the wild, then we should also hibernate them in captivity. Having said that, there are mountains of evidence that demonstrate that hibernation is not "necessary" and no harm comes to them if you don't hibernate them year after year. Hibernation is an individual choice, and the tortoise seem to be fine either way.

ShelbyAnn

Orange, TX
Orchid bark works great for adults. Coco coir is my preferred substrate for little babies, but I switch them to orchid bark when they are about 3-4 inches long.

Bought-in-a-bag soil should never be used. There is no way to know what composted yard waste it is made of and it can sometimes be toxic. The manufacturer does not intend for live animals to be living on and in their soil in an enclosure. Their product is meant to house plants and be outside.

Hibernation is not dangerous, risky, or taxing if done correctly. Leaving them outside, subject to the cruel whims of Mother Nature, is not doing it correctly. Hibernation is a debatable subject filled with opinions on both sides. It is my opinion that if a species hibernates in the wild, then we should also hibernate them in captivity. Having said that, there are mountains of evidence that demonstrate that hibernation is not "necessary" and no harm comes to them if you don't hibernate them year after year. Hibernation is an individual choice, and the tortoise seem to be fine either way.
Tha k you so much on the the info. I was woundering what would be best to use to build the tortoises enclosure? also do Russians need the enclosure damp? I have seen it both ways but want to make sure I do it right.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tha k you so much on the the info. I was woundering what would be best to use to build the tortoises enclosure? also do Russians need the enclosure damp? I have seen it both ways but want to make sure I do it right.
All Russians need moderate humidity. Historically, Russians and other species have been housed far too dry and this is not good for any of them. Dry substrate in a dry indoor enclosure with heat lamps, and with room heating in the winter and AC in the summer creates an exceedingly dry environment that causes all sorts of problems. Humidity is more important for babies than for adults, and it does not need to be swampy and wet for a Russian, but lightly damp substrate with a humid hide is tremendously beneficial. Using a thick enough layer of substrate allows you to keep the lower levels more damp, which helps with humidity, while the upper layers will be drier. No tortoise should be walking around in wet substrate all the time.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
You can use bricks, non-toxic outdoor wood, chicken wire with wood, there are numerous building materials. Just make sure the tortoise can't get out, and predators can't get in. Also, baby russians will need high humidity and the enclosure should be damp but with adults it isn't needed as much, however it shouldn't be dusty and super dry either.