Intranuclear Coccidiosis (Tortoise Bubonic Plague)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
sibi said:
I have received the package from deadheadvet (Evan) to take samples of my 4 sullies. One sully, Ms. Piggy, had passed away this morning. I took a sample of her and placed it in the refrigerator until Monday, when I expect to get the rest of the samples done. Then I'll mail all samples overnight to UF. I just need to k ow if Ms. Piggy had this disease.

Sorry about Mrs.Piggy. Necropsy would also be a great way to find out if she was taken by this. Evan can steer you about doing that as well. That lab is in Pacific Northwest. However it is more costly than the UFL tests. Soft tissue samples are best at findings of which was the cause.

In regards to the Forstenii. I do tend to favor sides which that of Benjamins statements. A lot of the animals coming out of SEA or Indo are kept until quotas are met and then sent out. A lot of times they are the conditions in which they are kept well before they are sent to dealers. In other events, systematic adenovirus is another issue with this species (more can be seen here on this http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-70536.html ). In relation to INC adenovirsuses are incredibly nasty too. Both INC and Adenovirus, or even irridioviruses can play on each other. Stress in any situation of carrier of one of the thousands of pathogens can eradicate an animals future.

Testudoresearch

This is but one of several 'emerging diseases' to consider. There are others. There are yet more that are certainly out there, that currently, we know nothing about and have no easy or reliable means to even test for. Inclusion bodies for CHV were observed many years before a PCR test was developed, for example. Many 'outbreaks' of fatal epidemic syndrome never make it into the literature because other than the fact that a lot of animals became ill and died, no causal agent could be established. In many cases the path of infection also is not clear. This simply emphasizes the critical importance of "assuming the worst, but hoping for the best" strategy when handling any animal, and the very grave consequences of running unnecessary risks. Introductions of unknown animals, of unknown origin and poor quarantine procedures are unfortunately more the rule than the exception. Maintaining a high grade quarantine and employing high strength hygiene protocols are both inconvenient and costly, but the failure to do so can be even more inconvenient and costly. If you have ever seen the conditions in some dealer and distributor premises, it is abundantly clear that extreme caution needs to be taken with any animal exposed to such sources. I am sorry to hear of the loss of Miss Piggy, incidentally. If more keepers did take the time and trouble to try to establish a cause of death in all questionable circumstances, we would know more than we do right now. Unfortunately, much evidence is lost without any meaningful investigation ever taking place.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I checked with my supplier (Henry Schein) yesterday and they only carry the equine paste at $695 something wholesale.

If any of use have used this product, where have you obtained it and is there oral/injectable?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sulcata_Sandy said:
I checked with my supplier (Henry Schein) yesterday and they only carry the equine paste at $695 something wholesale.

If any of use have used this product, where have you obtained it and is there oral/injectable?

Equine Paste? For what are you seeking to do and what drug is equine paste?