Interesting Article: Scientists figure out why female turtles are born at higher temperatures

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
It's a great read. Thank you for sharing it with us. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great article. It raises some good questions.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I do hate the alarmist, oh-my-God-global-warming tie-ins to EVERYTHING, but they also give the ultimate outcome in there as well without directly stating it: the turtles' genetics will start selecting for turtles that hatch male at warmer temps. Will they do it fast enough if temps rise rapidly? I believe so. Males aren't needed in as large of numbers. I think a cooling cycle would be much harder to adapt to as you'd have less females producing fewer babies for the selection to affect. After all, turtles where here when the climate was warmer than today... and cooler than today.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I do hate the alarmist, oh-my-God-global-warming tie-ins to EVERYTHING, but they also give the ultimate outcome in there as well without directly stating it: the turtles' genetics will start selecting for turtles that hatch male at warmer temps. Will they do it fast enough if temps rise rapidly? I believe so. Males aren't needed in as large of numbers. I think a cooling cycle would be much harder to adapt to as you'd have less females producing fewer babies for the selection to affect. After all, turtles where here when the climate was warmer than today... and cooler than today.

Yeah.....I'm not quite getting the global warming alarmist approach in this article at all! Plus, I would rather have scientists being proactive on climate change and the effects of it on animals and reptiles then dismissing scientific data, causing irreversible damage within our ecosystem. Yeah turtles along with other animals have endured many climate changes on this planet but this planet didn't have to deal with 7.4 billion humans back then! Many of whom doing god awful destructive things to this planet. Great read thanks for sharing!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yeah.....I'm not quite getting the global warming alarmist approach in this article at all! Plus, I would rather have scientists being proactive on climate change and the effects of it on animals and reptiles then dismissing scientific data, causing irreversible damage within our ecosystem. Yeah turtles along with other animals have endured many climate changes on this planet but this planet didn't have to deal with 7.4 billion humans back then! Many of whom doing god awful destructive things to this planet. Great read thanks for sharing!
Great example on why I hate such tie ins! Preachy monologues.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The other variable on the temp determining sex with an eye of worry towards climate change that seems missed is real simple. Chelonians have already gone through temp cycles of the magnitude predicted by climate alarmists. females laying eggs also choose egg laying sites based on many variable, at least which may also include some component of balancing the outcome between males and females (on the aggregate, not the individual). And lastly the eggs within one natural nest have temp variance within the nest, and some become male and some become female.

All that was not a part of the study, I get it, but it was also not brought into the popular writing style narrative.

As an aside to boy and girl turtles and tortoises. I do not intend to indicate I think climate is NOT changing, it is, that's why it's climate and not a thermostat on your wall, way too many variables. The why and the where-how seem well organized but still debatable to me.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
The other variable on the temp determining sex with an eye of worry towards climate change that seems missed is real simple. Chelonians have already gone through temp cycles of the magnitude predicted by climate alarmists. females laying eggs also choose egg laying sites based on many variable, at least which may also include some component of balancing the outcome between males and females (on the aggregate, not the individual). And lastly the eggs within one natural nest have temp variance within the nest, and some become male and some become female.

All that was not a part of the study, I get it, but it was also not brought into the popular writing style narrative.

As an aside to boy and girl turtles and tortoises. I do not intend to indicate I think climate is NOT changing, it is, that's why it's climate and not a thermostat on your wall, way too many variables. The why and the where-how seem well organized but still debatable to me.
I agree Will. When climate change enters the topic, authors seem to always write with an eye toward their own viewpoint and the facts like you talk about tend to get left out because they don't fit the alarmist narrative.

Their genetics and their reproductive behaviors both lean toward their continued ability to survive and adapt.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Very interesting. Thanks a lot for posting!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
i dont get it.... why global temperature rising is a bad thing? (well it sucks for polar bears)
look at our history, every time global temperature falls, civilization falls with it

HoloceneTemperatures.png

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Very interesting article! Love the pic of the biologist holding the snapping turtle! I'm sad we don't have those cool turtles over here on the west coast.
I absolutely adore snappers - especially the Alligator snapper! Awesome!!!

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Mostly interesting article till it got off the rails onto the PC track! Wonder who paid for this guys research? I despise:mad:the constant alarmist drum beating claiming climate "change":rolleyes:when it is only another of thousands of climate CYCLES ordained by God. Just like summer and winter they all come and go in their time and then come back again. Every species including Turtles, Tortoises and Polar bears have SOMEHOW survived for a very long time regardless of the weather. The fact that chelonians have very long lives is likely one of their greatest survival characteristics. Few males can produce great numbers:<3:of offspring from many females.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Very interesting article! Love the pic of the biologist holding the snapping turtle! I'm sad we don't have those cool turtles over here on the west coast.

The few that have been turned loose and gone native here have raised havoc with every other form of edible(for them)or competitive wildlife in their environment. Kind of like invasive Bullfrogs or Cane Toads. That is why they are a prohibited species in Oregon. I also agree that they are cool;). Just not cool in our great outdoors.