Interested in large Aldabras

xirxes

Hello, I’m seeking out a reputable source of 1.1 or 2.2 20+ year old Aldabras of size that breeding would be possible given everything in order in their paddock.

It appears that like Galapagos, very few breeding these successfully and even fewer selling torts of age.

I understand about hefty price point, but this would be beginning of a lifetime project (and beyond!)

Thanks for any leads.

xirxes

I want to get squared with breeding a 1.1 then expand over the years as I have the whole process down pat.

It’s just the finding of large/old enough animals that is a hurdle.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Aldabraman can maybe help you, but I'm afraid your on a very difficult, if not impossible, mission.

xirxes

I have been through their site and most seem to have extra scute and only be in the 15-20” range.

He is selling them as “adults” but they are almost certainly not 20+ years old and ready to potentially breed.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I have been through their site and most seem to have extra scute and only be in the 15-20” range.

He is selling them as “adults” but they are almost certainly not 20+ years old and ready to potentially breed.
That’s very true but I have seen older adults on there from time to time I would reach out to Sam and let him know what you are looking
For. He might be able to come up with something. They sure are hard to find!

xirxes

You should ask yourself what is the point of breeding giant tortoises when so very few people can ever give them proper homes?

I think that in general Aldabras and Galapagos are in a different boat than Sulcatas.

The investment in one of these rarer breeds is not one taken lightly, and this cost generally creates much more research and consideration. Unlike sulcatas, you cannot find baby Aldabs in a pet store (really at all) for $80-90 for hatchlings.

There is further consideration that these animals, although not critically endangered, can use all the breeding they can get because of mere geographical island pressure concerns.

There are probably 700 or less aldabs produced in USA each year, and I know that there are over 1,000 sulcatas produced within 100 miles of me each year.

Kipley

Seattle, WA
Wow, great information.
The one thing that I wish I had known before we took in the Sulcata tortoises was that they don't hibernate. That changes changes their housing requirements considerably.
I now can better educate others on the needs of Sulcata tortoises.
Thanks for your help, Leland
I'm assuming you are in or near St. George? There are a few people here in the Seattle area that winter their Sulcatas and Leopards outdoors in heated enclosures. Some with Greenhouses to sun in. Not the ideal, but it seems much more doable in your area than mine. (I grew up in NE Utah).

Lelandfishback1

Saint George
That is where we are leaning toward now. We have plenty of room and if we cant find a new home for them we will make a heated enclosure for the winter that can be used each year. It is warmer here than in the seattle area, we are 10 miles north of Saint George, and about 6 degrees cooler.
I also want to plant some grass this winter so they will have some grass to graze on next summer. They are not happy with me now because I'm trying to ween them off of romaine lettuce, but they are not liking it.
Thanks for the ideas,
Leland