Installing an electrical outlet outdoors

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I just left a post for someone and I'm thinking that maybe a thread might help others out?
I recently (Less than a year ago) installed an outdoors electrical outlet after doing the extension cord out the window trick for ages and it is/was far simpler, easier and cheaper than I originally thought.
First off, let me say that I am NOT an electrician..and one may come along after reading this and say "Don't do it."
I had an outlet inside the house right about where I wanted one to be outdoors. So I turned off the main circuit breaker, removed the outlet cover and pulled the whole outlet out of the wall, still fully connected.
I then drilled a hole through to the outside. I'm my case through cement.
I attached wires from the existing outlet and pushed them through the hole. They exited outside.
Outside I placed a weather proof type electrical outlet box and hooked up the wires to a new outside electrical plug. I used a ground fault type outlet. A normal one would have likely been just as good.
I re-assembled the thing inside and out and I used it all winter. No problems.
At about $20-$25 and 45 minutes of work, my tortoises now have night time heat and I don't have an extension cord hanging out of my window.