INSPIRATION~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
That's a really nice setup. I try to google translate it, but the result is not too clear for me as well. Hope someone with French speaking capability come up and help.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Radiated said:
Hey guys, I could use some help here.
I was on a French Forum when I found this link: http://tortues-actions.naturalforum.net/t17885-exemple-terrarium-astrochelys-radiata-v2

The set-ups are AMAZING, anyone here please help me identify what kind of substrate that is, I really want to make my set up for the ploughshare and radiated like this one. I have all the plants in pots at home! :p

Those are some pretty beautiful setups for radiated, I think the substrate is a mixture. I think the mixture includes the wrong kind of potting soil which has some perlite in it, which the torts would pick out and eat because they look like rocks. I didnt look at everything for very long, :D Im going in for a second look right now. My radiated are getting bigger and I need to figure out what Im going to do as far as housing them. Thanks for posting this,,,,,,always good to see whats going on in other lands

As far as substrate goes I like to do a mixture of whatever I have, topsoil, sphagnum moss, peat moss, sand. I just check whats in the garage and mix it up and replace it.

Radiated

5 Year Member
It says there peat on one side. And the other is sand and soil. And on top of all that there's ecoearth type of stuff with pumice....should I try it? Any suggestions?

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364714147.742805.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
It's just a standard, planted vivarium. That background can be done with canned aerosol foam. Spray it on a form made from thin wire mesh, let it dry, carve and paint it. Like was already mentioned, the dirt used in that mix is improper. Plain, organic potting soil would be better. I don't know about China, but you can get a similar misting system from mistking.com

Radiated

5 Year Member
Oh I see. I have a great misting system already. I'll just plant my vivarium.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Radiated said:
It says there peat on one side. And the other is sand and soil. And on top of all that there's ecoearth type of stuff with pumice....should I try it? Any suggestions?

I still use sphagnum moss, sand, and peat moss mixture for my radiated. I dont use alot of sand but I use a little bit. Go ahead and try it

Radiated

5 Year Member
Ok. Could I use normal soil and ecoearth on too for planting Malagasy plants.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I really like the setup, but I'm not interested to plant those Madagascar plants. They are poisonous and the pricks... I worry it would accidentally hurt the tortoises' eyes.

Radiated

5 Year Member
I'm sure it won't. They live in this stuff in the wild. And they eat the alluaudia

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I'm not talking about the alludia, but the Pachypodium plant. Well, it's your choice of course, since it's lovely.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Oh of course I won't have pachypodium. Only alluaudia, hibiscus, cactus, yucca and maybe euphorbia

Radiated

5 Year Member
Yeah I know. I used to have it. The tortoise nibbled it and left it alone. They know if it's poisonous. They are smart.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Thanks, ive seen it before, but i have no idea what that substrate is...to me it just looks like soil and rocks on top of it. Any ideas?

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
Wetland peat, dry mix of grass and cactus? And then it says something to the extent of affixing coco coir and stones.

Now that's not perfect but hey I tried

Radiated

5 Year Member
50% wet area and 50% dry area is what it means then its peat, cactus soil, and then sand, soil, on top there is coco fibre (coir) and stones and pumice

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Best set up for substrate for these guys is a layer of different soils. First layer pee gravel, second layer dirt, third layer decomposed granite mixed with a little dirt. If you dont want to layer and create a somewhat bio environment. You can just mix top soil and decomposed granite together. Make sure to feed on a tray though so its not ingeated. Use a fogger to elevate humidity a little. Plant some cactus and wala. Nice and warm too.

Status
Not open for further replies.