Inside enclosure with Cats in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
Hello,

I am looking for any good guidelines and examples of enclosures for a leopard tortoise inside. I have two tuxedo cats and dont want them to mess with my tortoise, Camilla. Its gonna take time to get them used to each other and I dont want anything to happen to either of them. I make sure to keep hair out of the tortoise cage but I am using a tank right now and dont like that. We got Camilla two days ago. I have been researching habitats, food and everything else but I keep getting mixed signals. So please tell me what is the best type of indoor enclosure for a tortoise when other animals are in the house? We are in the process of making a habitat for her outside but first we need to make sure there are no chemicals on the grass. So we do plan on keeping her outside during the summer and when the weather is permitting but I do need a good inside enclosure. I appreciate any advice. Thank you .

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You Can Build A Tort Table, Or Get A Terrium With A Removable Top
So When The Cats Are In The House They Cant Get To Your Little Guy!

M

Maggie Cummings

I have had cats all of my life and have 2 cats now and 25 turtles and tortoises and it is my experience that cats once they smell the tort and sniff around to see what it is will not get in the habitat and will leave the tort alone...At least mine do. I have one cat that likes to sleep under a basking light so I gave her one all for herself and she uses it every day. Most cats don't care about tortoises at all.

HappyTortoise

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
Jacob said:
You Can Build A Tort Table, Or Get A Terrium With A Removable Top
So When The Cats Are In The House They Cant Get To Your Little Guy!

Thanks. I love the tort table. That is what we will make. Thank you so much. I think we will just make a screen lid for it so that cats dont get into it or their hair.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
I have had to keep torts inside for various reasons, usually they leave the torts alone, but they do love to dig/desecrate the substrate & eat their food-so a removable top is a must.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I have 2 cats that are total hunters, they have caught our pet hamsters that we had in the past and they never bother Boulder. I guess they don't interest them, I would just keep an eye on them and see how interested they are.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
We take in stray cats, so we always have an ever changing massive pride of cats and kittens in and out of the house. My experience has been with the cats only smacking those moving rocks a couple of times with no claws out. A cat could however carry off a small hatchling, may be not to hurt but to take to play with.

I do warn folks after one of my cats (Starr who was also a tuxedo :cool: ) whom had a habit of laying next to the lights and heat. One day I smelled something burning and looked over to see smoke coming from the light she was next to. She had gotten that fluffy tail against the bulb and the heat from it started to burn off her hair. Just was lucky I was there to see it and make everything okay.

I will also remind you to make the lids strong and secure. Strong because cats will jump on those lids over and over again. The weight from those jumps slowly bends the wire/lids. Also make sure the lid can't slide off, once more those cat jumps can wreck havoc if they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.