Insect - not sure if centipede or millepede

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Hi
Can i put these in my inside enclosure to help with clean up.

I was looking for pill bugs but could not find any.20180714_174034.jpeg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi
Can i put these in my inside enclosure to help with clean up.

I was looking for pill bugs but could not find any.View attachment 245114

I can’t tell how big it is. I used to have little tiny soil centipedes in my closed chamber and they stayed tiny and didn’t bother anybody. IMG_5998.jpg they were even smaller than one on this pic i got off the net. I know some centipedes have venom, so check it all out bfr putting in with your cute baby torts. Pillbugs are awesome. I had started my biosubstrate with just 4 or 5 pillbugs, couldn’t find any in my garden that year. They multiplied very quickly. I also had some earthworms in there (it was planted terrarium), then started noticing little tiny snails (prob. hitched ride on my garden transplants)... it was a very lively enclosure! I loved it. Good luck with yours[emoji217]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I can’t tell how big it is. I used to have little tiny soil centipedes in my closed chamber and they stayed tiny and didn’t bother anybody. View attachment 245117 they were even smaller than one on this pic i got off the net. I know some centipedes have venom, so check it all out bfr putting in with your cute baby torts. Pillbugs are awesome. I had started my biosubstrate with just 4 or 5 pillbugs, couldn’t find any in my garden that year. They multiplied very quickly. I also had some earthworms in there (it was planted terrarium), then started noticing little tiny snails (prob. hitched ride on my garden transplants)... it was a very lively enclosure! I loved it. Good luck with yours[emoji217]
Thanks they went back into the garden until i got some feedback. Those were about 1cm or 1 and half cm. And a reddish brown colour. I should look for some earthworms to put in as well.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I'm fairly sure it's a centipede, but I don't know for sure. I think millipedes have different shaped bodies.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Centipede, they have one pair of legs per segment, usually out to the sides. Millipedes have multiple legs per segment usually under the body segment.