Insect Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOK DADDY

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have 4 Russian Tortoises I keep outside in a nice very large enclosure (I live in AZ so they live outside year round). I've recently realized I have a cricket problem in the numerious hideaways I've dug/built for them. When you have a cricket problem...you soon have a scorpion problem as well. Is there any other animals I can buy that are safe for the tortoises but will eat the insects? I'm thinking toads, etc.

I know generally not a good idea to mix species due to parasites etc.- but was wondering if there were any compatable animal species that could do the job with Russians.

Thanks!

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
i raise many species of frog and toad and i know that if you to come in contact inside major pathogen,mite,and parasite cross contamination is likely but outside i have no idea,im sure they are bound sooner or later to come in contact wit a toad being kept in an outside enclosure. Ive had horror storys trying to rid toads and frogs of parasites that i ordered as wild caught specimens(mostly toads) I NOW ONLY BUY CAPTIVE BRED ANYTHING,i wouldnt bring anything around animals of mine that was not captive especially a toad.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Becki said:
I wonder why your Russians don't eat them.

Russians are herbivores, they will take a nip at them if they are curious but for the most part they will not eat them.

Tyler

Status
Not open for further replies.