Insane $110 worth of supply overhaul from myturtlestore

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Alief
It's Christmas!!

(Be sure to mount those compact fluorescent bulbs horizontally. They have been known to burn turtle's eyes when pointing straight down)
Wait Yvonne for?
I’ve never seen or heard that’s pointing the UVB horizontally doesn’t cause that affect.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wait Yvonne for?
I’ve never seen or heard that’s pointing the UVB horizontally doesn’t cause that affect.
It's the type in the picture, not referring to the curly shaped ones. I've been told that the strong rays are concentrated out the end of the bulbs shown here and it's too strong for young eyes.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
It's the type in the picture, not referring to the curly shaped ones. I've been told that the strong rays are concentrated out the end of the bulbs shown here and it's too strong for young eyes.
That theory doesn’t seem to far fetched. Maybe I’ll work to with heat bulbs lol

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

If you check this type compact fluorescent with a solarmeter, you will find that if you mount if vertically, there will be hardly any UVB beind directed downward. It will be virtually useless as a UVB bulb. It is the lengths of the uvb tupes that will produce the usable UVB. So the bulb must be mounted horizontally to get any decent UVI reading. You do need to be careful as the UVB produced is much less than a long fluorescent. So the distance for a decent UVI reding has to be fairly close. But at that range, the difference of an inch or two can double the UVI reading. With aquatic turtles, who like to stack when basking, this can be an issue.

These bulbs are designed to go into the aquarium type hoods that had screw-in sockets to mouunt the bulbs horizontally and sit on top of a tank.

Texas
If you check this type compact fluorescent with a solarmeter, you will find that if you mount if vertically, there will be hardly any UVB beind directed downward. It will be virtually useless as a UVB bulb. It is the lengths of the uvb tupes that will produce the usable UVB. So the bulb must be mounted horizontally to get any decent UVI reading. You do need to be careful as the UVB produced is much less than a long fluorescent. So the distance for a decent UVI reding has to be fairly close. But at that range, the difference of an inch or two can double the UVI reading. With aquatic turtles, who like to stack when basking, this can be an issue.

These bulbs are designed to go into the aquarium type hoods that had screw-in sockets to mouunt the bulbs horizontally and sit on top of a tank.
Thankfully there is only one turtle in the 20 gallon tank a tiny razorback musk and in the 110 gallon pond they are outside for right now and then when weather drops I'll get them a uvb bar so it can reach the whole diameter of the pond!!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

This idea most likely originated because the use/choice of dome fixture with a vertical mounted lamp can concentrate the uvb downward over a small area.