Injured tortoise?Please help!

Krischris

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hallo!
We just got this Hermann's tortoise yesterday from Petco. We didn't want to scared him to much so we just let him rest in his cage.
Rusty is really active today so we got him out (after big breakfast) and let him walk on the grass outside and later on at home. I noticed he was limping so I did closer examination and found this (pictures-I could not upload video). Looks like he was injured before? Or born like this? He can straiten his left front leg. He looks happy over all. He should be about 3 years old? What should I do now? I was thinking that Petco would notice if something is wrong with the animal they are selling so I really didn't look closer at the store.
Please help-I'm not experience in this field. (I have Russian tortoise for 5 years now.)
Thank you so much.

IMG_8725.JPG IMG_8727.JPG IMG_8742.JPG IMG_8736.JPG IMG_8734.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So you're thinking the shell abnormality might have something to do with the tortoise not being able to use his leg properly? I suppose that could be true. Maybe some sort of nerve damage. We really have no way of knowing. But if he's getting along ok, maybe it's nothing to worry about.

Krischris

5 Year Member
Utah
Yes, I do. His leg is smaller then the other one, he is partially missing two claws, he can’t support his weight on it and straighten the leg and his shelf looks like it was badly cracked with something sharp. I wish you can see video of him walking, that’s when you can really see (and hear) how it’s affecting him. I just don’t know what to do at this point. I don’t want to “return” him like something defective but I’m also scared what kind of damage it was and what does it mean for a long run.... I will go to the store tomorrow and see what they have to say.... I was just asking all the “experience “ people here for advice...
Thank you so much!