Injured shell. Please help! (pic attached)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Okay, so just when I thought I was getting everything figured out, I noticed (during a soak) that one of the new babies has an injured shell.

It looks fresh to me. It's pink. The baby, named Riddles, seems to be distressed. She's not acting like herself at all....she's pacing, and running (seriously, fasted I've ever seen her move), and then she'll attack the food like she hasn't eaten in a week (I saw her eat lots just yesterday). She just seems intense and distressed.

Anyway, I have no idea what caused this. My main assumed culprit in some rocks I have stacked for a hide...one of the torts dug around the bottom of a rock and made a little hide...I'm thinking the edge might be sharp enough to do this (I've already exchanged that rock for a different one). But I don't know if that's what it was for sure.

Okay, so I guess what I really want help with is, how do I treat her shell? It seems as though it's painful, or else she's really scared. Do I keep her dry? I'm sure I should keep it clean. Is there anything I should put on it, or leave it to heal on its own?

It's Carnival here right now, and there is no way to see a vet until Wednesday at the earliest...so any advice as to how to treat her would be much appreciated.

Also, any suggestions on how to help Riddles calm down? I've removed her from the main pen (which I just moved her into two days ago), and returned her to the hatchling pen....it's smaller so I can keep a better eye on her.

Here's the pictures:

....I know it's not a super serious injury, but it must be painful, and she's young (about a 6 weeks old)....

...when I put her in the hatchling pen, she went right into her water dish, even though she just came from a soak...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's an awfully cute little tortoise. I'm partial to the ones with split scutes. I don't think that small injury is enough to be causing much discomfort to the tortoise. You can always apply a soothing ointment to the spot. Take a close look at the whole tortoise...up inside the leg holes, etc. looking for biting ants or something that might be sticking into the tortoise.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are you referring to that little spot on between the scutes at the rear area of her shell? Is yes, you can relax---that appears to be simply coloring of her shell (this can happen and then darken) and her ravishing the food is well, FANTASTIC...and if you say you put her in the new area just a couple days ago...she has likely been very active in there and worked up an appetite and is feeling energetic because she is enjoying the outdoors....and going to the soaking dish (especially for this species) is FANTASTIC and pretty normal :D

I would be curious to find out what you are basing her being
It seems as though it's painful, or else she's really scared

does the tort scream when you touch the shell :)Pbeing silly) and really scared--does that mean she is running erratic and all about--if yes, this is normal behavior for a tort...especially a tiny (bite sized) tort...

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
That's an awfully cute little tortoise. I'm partial to the ones with split scutes. I don't think that small injury is enough to be causing much discomfort to the tortoise. You can always apply a soothing ointment to the spot. Take a close look at the whole tortoise...up inside the leg holes, etc. looking for biting ants or something that might be sticking into the tortoise.

Thanks Yvonne...we think she's a cutie too! :D I'll give her another check over.

ascott said:
Are you referring to that little spot on between the scutes at the rear area of her shell? Is yes, you can relax---that appears to be simply coloring of her shell (this can happen and then darken) and her ravishing the food is well, FANTASTIC...and if you say you put her in the new area just a couple days ago...she has likely been very active in there and worked up an appetite and is feeling energetic because she is enjoying the outdoors....and going to the soaking dish (especially for this species) is FANTASTIC and pretty normal :D

I would be curious to find out what you are basing her being
It seems as though it's painful, or else she's really scared

does the tort scream when you touch the shell :)Pbeing silly) and really scared--does that mean she is running erratic and all about--if yes, this is normal behavior for a tort...especially a tiny (bite sized) tort...

Thanks for making me smile, Angela (the "screaming" part).
As for her shell, yes, the little pink parts at the back of her shell...it actually appears as though it's chipped off.

But good to know it's a good thing if she's eating like crazy, and running around! :) Maybe I just wasn't ready for her to graduate to the "big" pen yet....and then seeing her chipped shell really freaked me out.

I still think I'll keep her in the hatchling pen for a little bit longer, for my peace of mind.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Cool...and you are indeed the one there that can clearly see the spot...and if it is a chip....not to worry--as Yvonne said, just keep it clean and if I were you ....I would not be surprise now if you decide to place the baby back in the smaller pen she will be not pleased...I would bet that you will notice her behavior change--I mean, she got a taste of the adult table and now she will have to go back to the kiddie table....so will be interesting to hear what you observe :D

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Cool...and you are indeed the one there that can clearly see the spot...and if it is a chip....not to worry--as Yvonne said, just keep it clean and if I were you ....I would not be surprise now if you decide to place the baby back in the smaller pen she will be not pleased...I would bet that you will notice her behavior change--I mean, she got a taste of the adult table and now she will have to go back to the kiddie table....so will be interesting to hear what you observe :D

Hmm...that's a really good point about the putting her back in the smaller pen. Our main pen is approx 12' x 10', has lots of hides (10 hides), and 2/3 is covered by vegetation....I was just worried about not being able to keep a good eye on her. BUT, now that you mention it, now that she's had a taste of it, putting her back in the small pen could be what's stressing her out!

Maybe I freaked out, and reacted too quickly to something that isn't a huge deal.

Once again, I'm so thankful for TFO!

Teodora said:
LOVE those split scutes!

Thanks! :D So do I.

Status
Not open for further replies.