Injured Redfoot-Dog attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
Ginny (760) 738-8865 She should be able to recomend someone. If you leave a meesege she will call you back.

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
I tried calling Ginny but her mailbox was full and I couldn't leave a message.:(
I also tried doing a little research on financial aid for veterinary care and I can't seem to find anything that doesn't require me to be disabled or elderly. Hopefully someone can help at the tortoise club event next week.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
CareCredit is simply a credit extended to you for medical services (humans as well as pets) You apply and they will either yes/no extend you a line of credit to use for medical services. I was recently laid off, then my son went to a regular dental visit and I was told he needed braces, so I had to use that to pay part of the braces cost :D Give it a try, it sure would not hurt to try :p

I have to say that the little one has lots of damage, BUT, the most concerning is the puncture on the top...It appears as though infection is possibly set in their, kind deep....I think at the least, this needs immediate attention with antibiotic...I too think that you should try to reach someone in CTTC and see if you can meet up with a member experienced in this type of damage. While it is a bad puncture, I know that there are little ones that have encounter worse....

I don't think that you have to give the guy up, just kick and scream and beg and plead with anyone that you can get information on care from....(YOU CAN DO IT :) )

I have heard of tortoise run over on the road...and be nursed back to a healthy state to then thrive again....please keep us posted...

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
ascott said:
CareCredit is simply a credit extended to you for medical services (humans as well as pets) You apply and they will either yes/no extend you a line of credit to use for medical services. I was recently laid off, then my son went to a regular dental visit and I was told he needed braces, so I had to use that to pay part of the braces cost :D Give it a try, it sure would not hurt to try :p

I have to say that the little one has lots of damage, BUT, the most concerning is the puncture on the top...It appears as though infection is possibly set in their, kind deep....I think at the least, this needs immediate attention with antibiotic...I too think that you should try to reach someone in CTTC and see if you can meet up with a member experienced in this type of damage. While it is a bad puncture, I know that there are little ones that have encounter worse....

I don't think that you have to give the guy up, just kick and scream and beg and plead with anyone that you can get information on care from....(YOU CAN DO IT :) )

I have heard of tortoise run over on the road...and be nursed back to a healthy state to then thrive again....please keep us posted...

I'll look into that more then.:)

I found a good number for Ginny of SDTTS and left her a message, I might even send her an e-mail as well with pics. I'm also looking for other local people who might have info or want to help or at least take a look at her up close for me and give their opinion.

She has such a great attitude and seems to be doing so well despite the injuries, I feel so sure I could handle it if I knew more. But I do agree she should have antibiotics if needed. I have alot more research to do. :)

You really cheered me up, thank you so much.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I don't know if it would be harmful to tortoise or not, but when we have issued with our birds (chickens, ducks, guineas) we use blu-kote or red-kote on their wounds to keep the flies away. BLU-KOTE ® is a germicidal, fungicidal wound dressing and healing aid effective against both bacterial and fungal infections most common in skin lesions of domestic animals. Kills ringworm. Helps to dry up blisters and pox-like sores or lesions.
Can get this in feed stores like Tractor Supply. About $5

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am glad you are finding some local help.

You may want to contact the vet who is going to speak at the meeting and let them know your situation- heck, they may use your animal as an example during the talk!

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
it would be helpful if there was sum sort of tortoise crisis hotline to contact for help and info immediatly but i guess thats wut the chapters are for and this forum is about as good as it gets for help besides actuall vet attention..

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
froghaven5 said:
I don't know if it would be harmful to tortoise or not, but when we have issued with our birds (chickens, ducks, guineas) we use blu-kote or red-kote on their wounds to keep the flies away. BLU-KOTE ® is a germicidal, fungicidal wound dressing and healing aid effective against both bacterial and fungal infections most common in skin lesions of domestic animals. Kills ringworm. Helps to dry up blisters and pox-like sores or lesions.
Can get this in feed stores like Tractor Supply. About $5

I will look into that! I've kept the flies away so far but summer here is fly mania, there are more and more around and in my house everyday. Time to get those horrible stinky traps!

Madkins007 said:
I am glad you are finding some local help.

You may want to contact the vet who is going to speak at the meeting and let them know your situation- heck, they may use your animal as an example during the talk!

Yes we thought of that. I'll find his number this week :)

SILVERSTAR said:
it would be helpful if there was sum sort of tortoise crisis hotline to contact for help and info immediatly but i guess thats wut the chapters are for and this forum is about as good as it gets for help besides actuall vet attention..

That would be awesome! There's some vet techs on here right? Start a hotline! :p

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
I got a call back from Ginny from SDTTS!

She said she agrees that I should be able to handle this without needing to give her up if she really doesn't have any infections and is doing well. She wants me to bring the RF to their next meeting on the 8th, there will be a vet named Dr.Boyer speaking about disease.And if he wont take a look at the RF for me for whatever reason, Ginny might know a vet who will at least take a look at the her for free! :) I feel sooo much better!

And she wants me to help her adopt out some box turtles that were in a box and got attacked by a raccoon. I don't know if I have that much time right now but it was nice that she thought I could help her. :). She also said they have alot of torts that need homes and wanted to know if I was interested in fostering. They have a few nice looking DTs! :)

So I'm just going to keep the RF comfortable for now until the meeting on the 8th.I hope she'll be alright.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am so glad this is working out for you and the tort!

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
UPDATE:
My RF is doing well! We kept her clean and continued soaks without spraying though to avoid getting in the wound on top, and have continued using the ointments for her wounds and her shell rot. She's been eating very well and has been enjoying sitting under her heat source, more so then her brother, which I'm guessing is because she is trying to heal(I read somewhere on here that torts spend more time basking when they are ill, I didn't know that :)). We were able to remove the chunk of wood stuck to her side and the rest of the debris on her. I will post new pictures soon :).

We took her to the SDTTS meeting on Friday night. Dr.Boyer was giving a lecture on disease (there was a segment about dog attacks). At the end of the lecture Ginny showed my RF to Dr.Boyer, he said it looked like she'd done a lot of healing already and explained a little about what he would do if she was brought in to him at his clinic. Basically that he would remove the dead tissue and other material and try to get a better look inside the wound on top, and maybe some x-rays. Other then that she didn't seem to severe to him. I was relieved he seemed so pleased with how she looked.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Good to hear

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
That is great to hear! Whew!

This is why I am a fan of good vets, even though I know some members have had less than wonderful experiences. Having someone who KNOWS what they are talking about say things look good is such a relief!

Status
Not open for further replies.