Injured Redfoot-Dog attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix Arizona
Oh this poor little tort! after looking at the pictures I cant even believe it survived! if or when you guys do take collections please PM me with where to send the money. I am willing to chip in. she has been through so much.

not to seem mean or insensitive but maybe you should look into trying to adopt her out or find a rescue to take her that can afford regular vet care throughout the healing process.

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
These are more pics after cleaning her with water. The hairs and wood chip you see are stuck to her completely. I'm hoping they'll start to loosen after we put the ointment on her. Thank you all for offering to be so generous. Can anyone answer my previous questions about whether or not I should continue with the chlorhexidine and ointment please?

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3489.JPG

IMG_3501.jpg

IMG_3509.JPG

Melly-n-shorty said:
Oh this poor little tort! after looking at the pictures I cant even believe it survived! if or when you guys do take collections please PM me with where to send the money. I am willing to chip in. she has been through so much.

not to seem mean or insensitive but maybe you should look into trying to adopt her out or find a rescue to take her that can afford regular vet care throughout the healing process.

That is something we are definitely considering, but would like to see if we can care for her first. I'm willing to put in the time and effort, and I don't like not knowing where she will end up. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
the third and fourth pictures are so scary! that is a hole! a giant gaping hole! and she is still alive! that is just unlivable! does something like that close up on its own or does it need to be patched over some how? you must be so worried!

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
Melly-n-shorty said:
the third and fourth pictures are so scary! that is a hole! a giant gaping hole! and she is still alive! that is just unlivable! does something like that close up on its own or does it need to be patched over some how? you must be so worried!

That's why I'm posting so many pictures. It's terrible! I feel like I see more damage everytime I look. I don't know how I missed the bare bone at first look!:(. I'm so glad we picked them up even if I don't keep her in the end. It's amazing how alert and active and friendly she is considering it all. I'm hoping since she's survived 3 months with little care she'll be okay till we figure this out.

I'm new to torts but I fell in love with my 3 baby sulcatas right away. Torts are such amazing animals! I hope to be able to care for each different species one day, even if it's just temporary fostering. :)

Thank you all for your help! But I still need to know if I should use the chlorhexidine and the ointment?

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
Melly-n-shorty said:
I wish I knew more about chlorhecidine and the ointments so I could help you!

Thanx, I hope someone answers soon, I was allready answered by someone at the begining of the thread( I ran out and bought what was recommended) but that was before everyone knew the extent of the damage I think. I may still use it, I don't think it could hurt at this point.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
IVE SEEN BOX TURTLES BADLY DAMAGED AND YOUD BE SUPRISED WUT THEY WILL PULL OUT OF BUT YOU DEFINITLY NEED HELP YA KNOW AND NO ONE IS LOOKING BAD AT YOU YOUR NOT A DOCTOR BUT YOU PROLLY NEED MORE HELP THEN YOU CAN PROVIDE,IF THE PEICES ARE REALLY STICKING INTO THE WOUND AND BONE IS SHOWING THEN IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS IN SERIOUS PAIN AND ITS NOT GONNA SHOW WEAKNESS THEY ARE PROGRAMMED TO SURVIVE AND ACT OK EVEN WHEN THEY AINT,ACTING HURT HAS NEVER WORKED FOR THEM IN THE WILD..THE SOONER THE BETTER.

if you cant afford to fix him up then there are people that can....im not one of em but there are rescue groups and your pulling at heart strings on this thread...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If worse comes to worse you can always turn it into the local CTTC they will take it and get the medical help it needs, the only thing is you won't get it back, you would have to turn it over ownership wise, they help out but they don't take one in and then let the person who turned it in take it back after it receives medical help. Just an option.

If my chapter was closer I would suggest you turn it into them but we are located in arcadia. Quite a few of our members are vet techs and they often get free or close to free medical help for some of the rescued tortoises.

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
If you all are really interested in pitching in for her care, is there a way to estimate the cost? Is there financial aid? Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. Continue to use the Chlorhexidine and the antibiotic ointment.

The anti-fungal cream should be put on those white areas on the bottom shell, but not on any of the raw, gaping wounds.

I've heard good things about Dr. Greek in Yorba Linda. Is that anywhere near you? I'm sure if you explain to the vet that you will be getting money from friends via collections, that they will let you put the treatment on credit.

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
emysemys said:
Yes. Continue to use the Chlorhexidine and the antibiotic ointment.

The anti-fungal cream should be put on those white areas on the bottom shell, but not on any of the raw, gaping wounds.

I've heard good things about Dr. Greek in Yorba Linda. Is that anywhere near you? I'm sure if you explain to the vet that you will be getting money from friends via collections, that they will let you put the treatment on credit.

Well I already used the chlorhxidine and ointments last night exactly as you just described :). I'm glad I did it right. The anti fungal after cleaning only on the white and triple antibiotic over the rest. Yes information on that vet would be great! I'm so glad I found this forum, I can't thank you all enough!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've also heard good things about this vet:

Adobe Pet Hospital - Greg Haskell DVM
Serving Santa Barbara
3230 State St # A
Santa Barbara, CA 93105 -3329

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
I WISH I COULD OFFER BETTER ADVICE,i really dont kno sorry,i kno how you feel tho and im glad you are trying to help it,i think you will be more at ease and in control once you seek professional advice and i think itll make you personally feel better,thats why i hope nuthing like this happens to me cuz i too would have trouble affording the vet visit and i too am clueless about vet visits,i mean who has money too throw around at a time like this rite!,thats why i try to take the best precautions i can and take the best care of my stars using the most recent info and care to date,and most my info gathering comes from this forum.

i kno i would have trouble convincing my girlfriend that we need to fork out hundreds for a vet visit when ive dropped thousands of dollars on my star tortoise collection,id have trouble convincing her but i would do it,not only that i will continue to fork money out for the rest of my life taking care of them bcuz im almost confident that mine will outlive me especially since i didnt get them till i was thirty.BUT ITS OK IMA GET OFF SOME SELECTIVE BREEDING BEFORE ITS ALL SAID AN DONE....LOL

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
I'm going to start calling around and see who's in my area and specialize in tortoises. There's a few nearby I believe. Once I find out if there's any finance help and about how much it will cost I will post the info.
Maybe I should pay the small payment just to have her looked at and get an estimate? How would we go about taking collections from those of you who have offered your help? I thank you all again for caring so much!

Alyssa

SILVERSTAR said:
I WISH I COULD OFFER BETTER ADVICE,i really dont kno sorry,i kno how you feel tho and im glad you are trying to help it,i think you will be more at ease and in control once you seek professional advice and i think itll make you personally feel better,thats why i hope nuthing like this happens to me cuz i too would have trouble affording the vet visit and i too am clueless about vet visits,i mean who has money too throw around at a time like this rite!,thats why i try to take the best precautions i can and take the best care of my stars using the most recent info and care to date,and most my info gathering comes from this forum.

i kno i would have trouble convincing my girlfriend that we need to fork out hundreds for a vet visit when ive dropped thousands of dollars on my star tortoise collection,id have trouble convincing her but i would do it,not only that i will continue to fork money out for the rest of my life taking care of them bcuz im almost confident that mine will outlive me especially since i didnt get them till i was thirty.BUT ITS OK IMA GET OFF SOME SELECTIVE BREEDING BEFORE ITS ALL SAID AN DONE....LOL

I love how dedicated you all are to your torts!

I wish it was a choice I could make, but I don't think I could possibly pay for her vet visit on my own. If taking collections doesn't work out I will find somewhere or someone to take care of her. :(

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I don't know the area at all, but I would bet that someone in the local California Turtle and Tortoise Club (www.tortoise.org) can give you a lot of on-scene help. I would bet they have someone that can look at the tort and help you with home care ideas, local docs, pricing estimates, etc.

The thing is that dog attacks can be horribly traumatic to a tortoise- mechanical damage, internal injuries, systemic infections, stress, etc. After three months of a minor attack, I would expect more healing but there is still a lot of bad-looking stuff here. To be honest, I truly think it is more than you can manage on your own.

I admire your heart and spirit, but it may be in the animal's best interest to get help even if it may mean you lose ownership.

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
Madkins007 said:
I don't know the area at all, but I would bet that someone in the local California Turtle and Tortoise Club (www.tortoise.org) can give you a lot of on-scene help. I would bet they have someone that can look at the tort and help you with home care ideas, local docs, pricing estimates, etc.

The thing is that dog attacks can be horribly traumatic to a tortoise- mechanical damage, internal injuries, systemic infections, stress, etc. After three months of a minor attack, I would expect more healing but there is still a lot of bad-looking stuff here. To be honest, I truly think it is more than you can manage on your own.

I admire your heart and spirit, but it may be in the animal's best interest to get help even if it may mean you lose ownership.

My local chapter is having an event in a week with a vet as the speaker! I think I might try to wait till then if no other options come up and she continues to do as well as she has been. At least now she's clean and has ointment on her in a clean space.:). I'll try to get in contact with some of the members asap, maybe they will have other information. Thanks!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Maybe call the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise society. I will look through me e-mail to see if I have a number or email. They should be able to recomend someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.