Injured Ornate Box HELP!

Hey guys, I found an injured ornate box turtle in my front yard this evening. His wounds look pretty fresh. He has a small puncture wound in his carapace and his shell is chewed up near the back left leg and all around the front part of the carapace. Some parts of the chewed portion seem a little pinkish in color. I didn't have the heart to leave him be in the shape that he was in, but I am at a loss as to how to help him. I bought some Povidone Iodine, flushed out the puncture wound and put a telfa pad over it as well as rinsed out the chewed on bits of his shell. He is also missing an eye, but it looks healed over. He is very active as of right now and has been very friendly. Does anyone have any helpful advice? I know very little of the species. Should I release him now or should i wait until he has healed?

Thank You

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Oh, poor baby! Hope some one has some advice for you soon!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank goodness you found him. I do hope he is OK. Is it possible you can hang onto him at least until he has gotten over the shock and wounds healed? Sounds like he has been had by a dog or predator. If you have a generous vet who will treat wildlife for free than maybe he will help. You are very kind helping him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is my opinion, that if the turtle is native to your area, you should put it back where you found it.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would clean it up and let it go . The wounds are not life threatening.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Best wishes to this little one!