Injured legs

bryson white

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have two three toed box turtles both are really small and I noticed today one of them had blood and skin on it’s legs that looked like it had peeled off. What should I do? He is still walking around, eating, and drinking like normal acting like it doesn’t bother him

F4075129-E0B3-4B99-8A6B-C9CD635BC4F0.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
People don't realize it, but baby box turtles are pretty aggressive and cannibalistic. I had to learn the hard way too.

Sometimes you are able to keep them together in one enclosure, but sometimes you have to keep them separately. You now know that you are one of the ones who has to keep their baby box turtles separately.

You can clean the wounds just like you would clean your child's skinned knee, and dab on a bit of first aid cream. Above all, don't put this baby outside where flies can get to it until the wounds have healed.

bryson white

5 Year Member
Southern California
People don't realize it, but baby box turtles are pretty aggressive and cannibalistic. I had to learn the hard way too.

Sometimes you are able to keep them together in one enclosure, but sometimes you have to keep them separately. You now know that you are one of the ones who has to keep their baby box turtles separately.

You can clean the wounds just like you would clean your child's skinned knee, and dab on a bit of first aid cream. Above all, don't put this baby outside where flies can get to it until the wounds have healed.
Thank you for the advice

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Young box turtles are indeed very opportunistic and some will see their siblings or cage mates as something edible. I've seen tails, toes and entire back feet/legs fall victim to another turtle, but the location of those wounds is strange to me. Whenever a foreign object is presented to a box turtles forequarters their tendency is to withdraw immediately, making it difficult for another turtles blunt head to gain access to the soft skin high up past the scaley parts of the front legs. The back legs are a different thing as a turtle in a corner being attacked from behind will continue sticking the back legs out in an attempt to flee. The attacker is stimulated by the movement and bites repeatedly. Could there be some sort of string, fishing line or tough fibrous plant material in the enclosure that could have gotten caught or wrapped around the turtles front legs? I certainly recommend separating the turtles as it's never a good idea to keep only two turtles of any species together. Even if the damage inflicted is not physical, one turtle will eventually suffer from the effects of bullying. But I think you should inspect this enclosure for an object that could have wrapped around the turtles legs and constricted or rubbed the legs raw.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
myself , I doubt those are injuries from another animal …… that's a tough place to get to on a turtle , even tougher on a box turtle ……. i'd guess bacterial or fungal dermatitis , could be primarily caused by a virus …… I believe the most common cause is bacterial ……. i'd use a topical and injectable antibiotic , a vets help would be a good idea , looks like something should be taken seriously , imo ……..