Injured Greek - front legs (shell caused?)

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Vernon Hills, IL
One of my Greek's front legs both have injuries. It's whe the leg hits the shell. I'm including a pic. The injury isn't totally visible but it'll gi you a good idea as to what's go on. What causes this and how do I treat it?

He's 4, lives alone. Substrate is cypress and coco coir. Water dish is provided. Humidity is ok. Lamps and temps are fine. Diet is dandelion, mustard, red leaf with an occasional cactus pear. image.jpg (Sorry - just trying to answer the obvious questions up front.)

Hopefully he'll be going to a vet tomorrow, Tuesday at the latest. But I tho I'd solicit all of your guys help. Thanks in advance.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
One of my Greek's front legs both have injuries. It's whe the leg hits the shell. I'm including a pic. The injury isn't totally visible but it'll gi you a good idea as to what's go on. What causes this and how do I treat it?

He's 4, lives alone. Substrate is cypress and coco coir. Water dish is provided. Humidity is ok. Lamps and temps are fine. Diet is dandelion, mustard, red leaf with an occasional cactus pear. View attachment 114817 (Sorry - just trying to answer the obvious questions up front.)

Hopefully he'll be going to a vet tomorrow, Tuesday at the latest. But I tho I'd solicit all of your guys help. Thanks in advance.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
One more thing. They weren't there last weekend. Didnt spend a lot of time with them since.

Mommabear

Ventura Co. CA
Welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie also but I have seen that you can wash/rinse a small injury and put a little antibiotic ointment. The calvary will be here soon. I usually keep saline solution for eyes and wounds to wash. Good luck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure why the shell would cause the damage. From what is seen in the pic the shell looks normal. @Yvonne G may have an idea of what's going on and the advice given for treating it was good. I wouldn't waist money running to a vet at this point, they can do more harm then good sometimes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The shell looks normal, I'm not sure it could have been cause by that. I'm thinking maybe the wood chips are poking at him, but it would be quite weird if the injuries on both legs are in the same spot. @Yvonne G may see some thing out of the ordinary that might cause this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's not life threatening. You can treat it just as you would treat a skinned knee on one of your kiddies. But it would be helpful if you could figue out why it's happening, and correct that. It might be as simple as he was trying to climb a wall and slid down with his legs extended, causing the shell to rub the legs.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Check his shell just above his injuries for rough spots, if you find some I have used a small flexible manicure Emory board to smooth them.