INJURED BOX TURTLE...please help.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
Hi, about an hour ago my husband and I found a box turtle that had been obviously hit by a car, his right back foot is practically demolished, my local vet is closed so I appointed myself as his nurse (I happen to work in the human medical field) anyway, I came home and soaked him in warm water, I kept changing the water until no more debris came out, I sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide and I bandaged it up with lots of neosporin, if you can think of anything else I need to do please let me know, hopefully Monday I'll be able to get him to someone that can do a better job than me but for now I'm all he's got....I should say "WE" are all his has until then. Thanks in advance. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434230001.090430.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434230013.357652.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434230025.564154.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434230049.429312.jpg

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
His little foot looks so bad, it's basically just dangling but he is trying to walk with his other 3 feet, I just can't wait til Monday for my local vet to look at it but I'm pretty sure he did lose that right back leg, I just don't see how it can possibly be repaired.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks for helping him.
Keep him nice and warm and give him lots of time alone in the dark, as stress can be as big a problem as the injury.
These resilient creatures can manage surprisingly well less a foot or leg, so hopefully he'll be okay after the vet visit.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
They can adore so much. Keep him dry while his wounds heal, keep him some where dark and warm, this way he won't get stressed or try to move around. I know in Mississippi a vet can't treat a native turtle unless you a registered rehabilitator. He will survive. Just watch out for infection, and keep his stress levels down while he heals.

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
One of our turtle club members has a three -legged box turtle only he lost one of his FRONT legs. She has to dig his hibernation pit for him, but other than that he does great getting around. At least yours will still be able to dig so I bet he'll be fine once the original injury heals.