Injured baby snapper

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
I found this snapping turtle on the sidewalk outside of my office. It appears that it might have been carried by a bird, then dropped. I picked it up and placed it in a shallow dish of water. It is moving around and breathing regularly. There is a deep injury to its back left leg that concerns me. Is this treatable? If so, what would you suggest?

20190827_114932.jpg 20190827_115037.jpg

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
I found this snapping turtle on the sidewalk outside of my office. It appears that it might have been carried by a bird, then dropped. I picked it up and placed it in a shallow dish of water. It is moving around and breathing regularly. There is a deep injury to its back left leg that concerns me. Is this treatable? If so, what would you suggest?

View attachment 279465 View attachment 279466
Just keep soaking him and clean up the cut and it should heal up good. He looks just like my turtle Elvis lol. Glad you stopped and grabbed him poor little guy

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Just keep soaking him and clean up the cut and it should heal up good. He looks just like my turtle Elvis lol. Glad you stopped and grabbed him poor little guy
Oof is that one spot the wound? Poor little guy. I'd clean him up and watch him for awhile if you possibly can and make sure he makes a good recovery. I will Google to see if there is anything you can put on the wound to help it heal without infection

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Oof is that one spot the wound? Poor little guy. I'd clean him up and watch him for awhile if you possibly can and make sure he makes a good recovery. I will Google to see if there is anything you can put on the wound to help it heal without infection
Best I can describe it - it looks like part of his intestine.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Best I can describe it - it looks like part of his intestine.
Oh my goodness.. I had just zoomed in on the picture to look. Yes it does look like part of his intestines.. the only thing I can think of is try to keep it clean and I'll Google to try to find some way to help you. Poor little guy. That was very good of you to grab him to try to help him.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Oh my goodness.. I had just zoomed in on the picture to look. Yes it does look like part of his intestines.. the only thing I can think of is try to keep it clean and I'll Google to try to find some way to help you. Poor little guy. That was very good of you to grab him to try to help him.
I googled and I saw people using apoxy for fixing cracks on shells. Nothing for wounds. This is gonna sound stupid but I have notta clue besides maybe try to somehow gently try to push it back in unless it seems to hurt him and stick a bandaid over the wound for the time being so it doesn't get dirty and infected, until someone here can help more or if you can afford a vet trip for him.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Well at this point his hind claws have torn away part of the extrusion. For such a deep injury, this certainly is an active little guy.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Well at this point his hind claws have torn away part of the extrusion. For such a deep injury, this certainly is an active little guy.
That's a good sign that he is active. I just read on Google to try to clean the wound with peroxide or betadine to prevent infection and cover it up somehow so he can't get to it to hurt himself more.. I guess let's just have hope and watch him. I want to say thank you again for trying to help that little guy. You're a good person in my book.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Oh, gosh: that's not good.
Reptiles who are mortally injured can take a long time to die.
Maybe see if a moderator will move this over to the "Health" section where it might get additional input? @YvonneG

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Oh, gosh: that's not good.
Reptiles who are mortally injured can take a long time to die.
Maybe see if a moderator will move this over to the "Health" section where it might get additional input? @YvonneG
I considered posting there, but thought it might be a miscat since the title is specifically "tortoise health".

I brought it home from work and plan to rinse it down with peroxide, then place him in some distilled water. It's surprisingly still very active. I've treated many tortoise/turtle injuries in the past, but never on one so tiny. There's not even enough room to adhere the wound properly. I'm goind to dice up some reptimin and see if it will eat any. More to follow.....

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I considered posting there, but thought it might be a miscat since the title is specifically "tortoise health".

I brought it home from work and plan to rinse it down with peroxide, then place him in some distilled water. It's surprisingly still very active. I've treated many tortoise/turtle injuries in the past, but never on one so tiny. There's not even enough room to adhere the wound properly. I'm goind to dice up some reptimin and see if it will eat any. More to follow.....
Sounds like you've had experience treating turtle injuries before!
And although the health section says "Tortoise Health," all turtles are automatically included as well- no exclusions here! i posted a long thread there about my Eastern Mud Turtle and her health journey.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you talking about the light colored spot on the plastron? This is a newly hatched turtle and that spot is the remnants of where he was attached to the yolk. It is nothing to worry about.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Are you talking about the light colored spot on the plastron? This is a newly hatched turtle and that spot is the remnants of where he was attached to the yolk. It is nothing to worry about.
Is that where the egg sac is on a snapper? I figured it would be located in the center of the plastron? If you're correct, that will be a HUGE relief!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Can you take a picture of the wound on his side? I think we have gotten confused about where the wound is
I can when I get home, but the "wound" is located in the pit of his rear leg. It was still alive and kicking when I left for work this morning.