Infuriating sale ads for sulcata torts

Erinelle

Location (City and/or State)
Hales Corners, WI
Hello,
I am wondering....
Am I the only one who checks Craigslist for torts?
Then gets angry at their living conditions?
Here’s a few, I thought I’d share. If this is deemed some sort of shaming, I apologize in advance and will remove! I just needed to ask if ya’ll feel the same when you see these things?!

IMG_1532.jpgIMG_1533.jpgIMG_1534.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"Must go to a good home." Right... A home completely unlike the one they are in now. I'll bet those are stolen tortoises. There is just no way the three of them grew up in the little tub.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Whenever I see things like this whether on Craigslist or in a store, I say something.
In my opinion if you dont say something your not any better then the person(s) that's giving the bad care.
I usually get told where to go from CL people but oh well, I still keep saying it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
A good majority of the Craiglist ads I see here are scams.

Erinelle

Hales Corners, WI
I try and be nice to get some information and ask if they’d like them to be rehomed with a knowledgeable care taker. I am not “looking” for rescues but it’s in my nature to try and help animals out of bad situations. I have enough temporary housing space and quarantine, to save and re-home when I run into bad situations like this; my heart aches for situations like these. Yet, I still torture myself by searching.
(I check in on turtles as well)

Both people in these ads wrote me back.
The one with the three larger ones together, eating iceberg lettuce....the person doesn’t know what kind of tort?
Debating on telling him the breed....will it help or hurt them?! It appears from the map that he lives in a not-so-nice area of Chicago which I wouldn’t go to in order to rescue but I told him I’d provide a good home free of charge. So if they are stolen and they are trying to sell for cash, he likely won’t write me back.

The person with the babies “must know how to keep them eating great”
Wrote me back a one line answer when I told him I could provide a good home free of charge....
lookin for large male 847 366 6130

What?? So he’s looking to trade?
To breed or keep in similar situations?
I really don’t understand people sometimes. Maybe this is my sign to stay off craigslist and stop the emotional torture!

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I used to work at a pet shop that sold baby sulcatas in a dry vivarium. I printed out Toms thread about sulcata hatchling care and how they need humidity but the manager didn’t care, he’s in it for the money. It was worth a try though:(

KatApril

Chicago
Wow I love these animals. Breaks my heart so very much to see them neglected this way. Ben02, so sad but ppl are in it for money is too common, for the most part popular pets like cats and dogs this ind of treatment wouldnt stand, but things like reptiles and fancy rats(used to run a rat rescue) are still almost all but ignored it will take time but its advocates like us that bring the right information and neglect to light and people will eventually learn and understand.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I got Ghost from CL. He was quite young when I inquired about him and has turned out great. I got lucky. I've seen some sulcatas advertised there for upwards of $250 for a yearling, while in questionable shape. Since pet sales are prohibited on CL, I end up flagging the ads when I come across them.
h126C4A2D

Unkapunka

Osage City
I got titus from cl. He was a baby but the people that had him had other grown sullys. She gave me a list to make sure i knew how to take care of him. I have seen several ads like the ones you have seen. It is a shame

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
I got all 4 of mine off CL, and with the first two the guy didn't tell me anything. Then I got another one from a lady that was very informative. But by then I had found this forum. But I got two more from same lady and they both died within a month. She wouldn't even answer my texts. The last one was a yearly that the owner got tired of. They are all healthy (as far as I can tell), eating like crazy and love to be petted. There are good people and bad people out there, no matter where you go.

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO