Infrared Nocturnal Lamps VS Heat Emitters

Status
Not open for further replies.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Which is best for our diurnal quadrupeds?:)

Infrared Nocturnal Lamps or Heat Emitters?

Which is less of a fire hazard? If the IF is true IF then will it ruin a curious child eyes?

Table is 60 X 24 X 9. Is there a thumb rule for how high to suspend the heat lamp to heat X amount of floor space X amount of degrees?

Although it would be nice to view the Torts 24/7 like when we get home late and want to check in on our kids, I'm not sure if I like the red glow. Maybe the red glow is not really even seen from outside unlike the TV.

Since completing the basic Tort Table, I am experimenting today with the IF lamp first as I know that the SunGlo lamp will emit plenty of heat during the day. The tall Reptile lamp stand is proving to be the best deal because you can reverse the top arm for narrow tables or to heat a particular rock for basking, if that's what you are after.

We don't keep the house thermostat higher than 66 and at night, it's gets chilly. Not happy with the 60-64 room temps I decided to get the heat lamp for night use. The basic pet trade power strip with a single timer will control lights for day and night use.

With the lamp 24 inches above the floor in a deep dome fixture (mini dome on order), I am getting the 10 degrees I want to keep the temps in the 70's 24 inches outward from the zero mark. 90's directly under it. So, 33% of the table will be warm (70's) at night which is fine for the sleeping quarters, according to the breeder to keep the young Greeks happy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Infrared Nocturnal Lamps VS Heat Emiitters

I can only say that from my experience, the lights are much cheaper. I buy the black incandescent bulbs from Wal-Mart for around $3, as opposed to over $20 for the CHE.

I used to have one or two CHEs in every tort house. My power bill was through the roof, so I was trying to figure out how to cut it back a bit. I changed out the CHEs for black lights and the bill was noticeably less per month.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England

I use a red bulb, which comes on through the night as set on a timer. Winters are cold here, but i have been up at various points in the night to make bottles for my daughter, and the temperature never drops too much. At the moment i also have a heat mat which is mounted on the back wall for a little extra warmth and i notice if the mat isn't on, the temperature drops too low and it has a knock on effect on the morning temperatures and often Alfie won't get up if it'f too cold!

I get my bulbs from a local hardwear store for £1.40. I'd say they are very economical.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ

alfiethetortoise said:
I use a red bulb, which comes on through the night as set on a timer. I get my bulbs from a local hardwear store for £1.40. I'd say they are very economical.

So the red nocturnal heat bulbs are at least the greener choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.