Infrared Heat Lamp or Ceramic Heating Element? (Advice please?)

Kooks_1776

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
So I’m generally just curious what would be better for my sulcata tortoise baby. I upgraded his enclosure and currently have a 100 watt infrared light but I was curious if it would be better to have the heating emitter, I’m very unfamiliar with the ceramic emitter so any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
CHEs connected to a thermostat are the way you want to go (i think). You keep it set at 83 or so.... and it will keep the enclosure at the right ambient day and night 24/7. Radiant Heat Panels (RHPs) connected to a thermostat also work very well. Either should be mounted to the ceiling.

IR bulbs can’t be hooked up to a thermostat....much harder to use as an overall heating element.

What kind of enclosure? How large? All of these “things” work best in a full enclosed enclosure.

Upload a pix of your enclosure.

Check out the How to raise a Sulcata care sheet. All of this is clearly laid out.

➡️➡️ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

Kooks_1776

Michigan
CHEs connected to a thermostat are the way you want to go (i think). You keep it set at 83 or so.... and it will keep the enclosure at the right ambient day and night 24/7. Radiant Heat Panels (RHPs) connected to a thermostat also work very well. Either should be mounted to the ceiling.

IR bulbs can’t be hooked up to a thermostat....much harder to use as an overall heating element.

What kind of enclosure? How large? All of these “things” work best in a full enclosed enclosure.

Upload a pix of your enclosure.

Check out the How to raise a Sulcata care sheet. All of this is clearly laid out.

➡️➡️ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/
image.jpg
I know it’s definitely NOT a good set up at the moment and I’m in progress of making better, but tall the advice I got from other led me to this not so great position.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Also, you will want to get more accurate thermometer/humidity gauge. The one you have from local pet store are notoriously inaccurate. It’s also placed too high...you want the temp sensor at tort level.

Lastly, how are you maintaining your night time temps?

Good luck.

Kooks_1776

Michigan
Also, you will want to get more accurate thermometer/humidity gauge. The one you have from local pet store are notoriously inaccurate. It’s also placed too high...you want the temp sensor at tort level.

Lastly, how are you maintaining your night time temps?

Good luck.
Night temperatures on the heated side where he sleeps and basks tends to stay anywhere between 70-85 degrees and the rest of the tank stays around 70. Occasionally it can drop as low as sixty according to the pet store thermometer, but I had recently purchased an infrared thermometer and it stays in the 70s on the cool side.
thank you again for your help it really means a lot to get some good advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I’m generally just curious what would be better for my sulcata tortoise baby. I upgraded his enclosure and currently have a 100 watt infrared light but I was curious if it would be better to have the heating emitter, I’m very unfamiliar with the ceramic emitter so any advice or help is greatly appreciated!
Colored bulbs shouldn't be used over tortoises. This includes infrared heat lamps.

The current fixture you have should work fine, but you do need a thermostat.

You've got to get that moss out of there ASAP. They will eat it and it can block them up.

70 at night is too cool. It needs to be no lower than 80 anywhere in the enclosure day or night.

Most of the care info for sulcata babies is all wrong. Read that care sheet that Mark linked and feel free to ask questions.

Kooks_1776

Michigan
Colored bulbs shouldn't be used over tortoises. This includes infrared heat lamps.

You've got to get that moss out of there ASAP. They will eat it and it can block them up.

70 at night is too cool. It needs to be no lower than 80 anywhere in the enclosure day or night.

Most of the care info for sulcata babies is all wrong. Read that care sheet that Mark linked and feel free to ask questions.

I plan on replacing the moss and carpet tomorrow with fir bark since I couldn’t get ahold of any orchid bark locally.
To keep the temperature higher in the tank should I go with a ceramic heating element?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fir bark and orchid bark are the same thing. Use fine grade.

Only your thermometer can tell you if a single CHE is enough to keep your enclosure warm in your house. Having an open top isn't helping.

Kooks_1776

Michigan
Fir bark and orchid bark are the same thing. Use fine grade.

Only your thermometer can tell you if a single CHE is enough to keep your enclosure warm in your house. Having an open top isn't helping.
I remember you mentioning the problem with the open top, so until I can afford or make a enclosed enclosure I found some plastic fittings to cover two thirds of the tank and left the heat lamp side open.

Thank you again for your help Tom, it’s been a bit of a blessing.