Info on leopard tort indoor enclosure?

Ari

So right now I have Harley in a Exo Terra 20 gallon but I know she will soon out grow it so I'm looking for input in what is the best way to go for a indoor enclosure? Thinking along the line of keeping the humidity high enough in dry AZ I was thinking of getting one of those Christmas tree storage bins? Modifying the top so she can have her heat lamp and still keep the humidity for her. I bought the wrong uvb bulb so I just did away with it since she goes outside in her outdoor playpen everyday for a couple hours.

Pics of current indoor enclosure (modified top with aluminum foil and pillowcases):

8CB937F9-101F-4D45-8DFD-799875A539C9_zpsh6rmwgky.jpg

I'm thinking about removing the hide and adding more plants since she doesn't use the hide she uses the plants to hide in....

Outdoor enclosure (I need to go get more shade cloth for the other side and the grass is slowly growing):

A4DB5B6A-A060-448D-BC83-528F4BDAD638_zpsnatzbpha.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big is she now, length bottom shell. The Xmas tree bins work good depending on size of tort.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Both of those habitats look great! Nice job.

I like the Christmas Tree Storage bin. It's a good size for indoor tortoises. And using the lid is also a good idea. I've seen where people cut out holes the size of the light fixture, then protect the plastic opening with aluminum foil. Be sure to let us see pictures when you get it set up.

Smart thinking about removing the hiding place. In the real world, leopard tortoises rest under bushes, so that will be a natural setting for your baby.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Looks great (I'd be a bit worried about using pillow cases near hot bulbs though)
My leopard lives indoors year around as even our summers aren't that warm and quite wet.
He is about 5 years old and 12 inches long now so he has his own room.

Ari

Thanks everyone! Do you know how many holes I should put in for airflow? For my snakes I put in about 100 lol but they don't need the same humidity requirements. I think target sells the bins at the end of the year so I'll be on the lookout then and will post pics after I'm done. Should I cut a hole in the top for her lamp or should I switch to a UTH? Or should I put both in place since the bin is taller than her current tank so the heat source will not be as effective? @Lyn I only have the pillow cases over the aluminum foil away from the lamp only aluminum foil is by the lamp. I'm paranoid about fire (I had an aunt die from a fire) so I try to be super careful. Thanks for the concern though it's nice that everyone helps and looks out for newbies on here!