Info on building a earth area for aquatic mud turtle.

alli3

Location (City and/or State)
Austin
Hi I have a rescue yellow bellied mud turtle ( I was told ) for about 16 years.. i am trying to build her a part of the tank that land soil and sand on top maybe .. and i have no clue how to separate.. people I see use plexi I have no idea where they are getting it.. i wondered what about rock of some sort and I need a very wide ramp that she wont slide on ( she's very clumsy lol ) she can't use the standard turtle bridge I bought years ago without having it completely pushed into the corner so she can wedge herself upward.lol
She is of course small .. and she used to never want land she loved the water under her bridge ..but lately she's been climbing and very water has always been fairly low enough to swim in her weird way but where she can stretch to breathe. Its a 20 long and she keeps 2 friends in there that started off as tiny feeders.. she consistently has always done this..lol
She only gets them once in a while but now I basically have two growing fish..hahaha its been 6 months or longer.
I saw a post on builds but Im so paranoid Im extremely attached of course after 16 years and the cats love her too.. so i need what kind of soil is safe?? Separator type? And what and where to get.. got plenty of silicon.. and ramp.. and anyghing else you can think of i will also state shes killed every single expensive as heck filter ivr had. Ugh.. she climbs all over it lately pods it.. gets under it lol cost is an issue.. thank you .. Im so happy someone recommended yall! I will have tons of questions to research in posts!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200826-210222_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200826-210222_Photos.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've seen some pictures where people built something outside the tank for the turtle to climb up to and dig in the dirt. . . a box-like feature that the turtle can't escape from. I'll see if I can find some pictures. . .