Inexperienced New Red Foot Mama,...advice needed please.

LaurilAnne

Location (City and/or State)
South Suburbs, Illinois
Hello from a Red Foot Newbie! :D And I apologize for the length of this post..lol.
I adopted my new baby:tort: from a friend who bought her from the local reptile house as a baby (I think) for his now ex-girlfriend. I was told she is a 3yr old male but from my research, I now believe her to be female. And from what I have been reading etc., she has not been living in her proper environment or getting the variety of foods she requires. I want her to flourish and be a happy lil torti here with me. She is sooo cool to watch!! I've had her in a 55gal tank since I brought her home on August 10th but I am picking up a 75gal this weekend. I set the tank up how I thought would be appropriate. I was on the right track but unfortunately got many things wrong..For starters, I used potting soil because I have live plants in there and I can get it packed good enough for a path and area on top of her den. It has a screen top which I am, of course, having humidity issues. I bought a fogger/humidifier yesterday and the difference in her activity already is crazy! I had no idea how important it could be. I've been covering the top as much as I can with towels to keep the humidity in. I've also made mistakes with heat and basking bulbs. They are gone and I now have a 150w CHE and the Zoo Med heat mat (not much help) stuck to the side (for now). Both on a dual stage InkBird digital thermostat set for 85 degrees from 7a - 11p then 80 degrees from 11p - 7a. I still cant get the temp above 82. I think I need another CHE? Especially for the 75gal?
I have the uvb tube light 10.0..I read that I need the 5.0?
I do soak her in the tub at least once a week for about 30 mins..
**I would greatly appreciate some help with a few things.. What is the best substrate for her and my live plants? She came with a bag of reptisoil which I do not care for at all but the potting soil can get pretty wet so I put some reptisoil on top. Its dusty, she tries to eat parts of it and she bulldozes it around. I tried forest moss but she bulldozes it, gets it in her mouth and it sticks to her feet/nails. I tried cypress mulch and she instantly started trying to eat it so I took it out. I have some spaghum(sp?) moss but am afraid shes gonna try to eat it as well. I looked at orchid bark, it has big pieces, and orchid soil, it has perlite like the potting soil..I don't know what to do but I only have until Saturday to figure it out. Thats when I pick up the 75gal.
Also, If ventilation is needed for the torti, how does enclosing the tank for humidity affect her?
What all veggies can she eat? snap peas? Brussel sprouts? Carrots? Tomatoes? Sweet peppers? Potatoes? Asparagus? Broccoli? Cauliflower? Green beans? All raw? What about mealworms and the proteins? Should I just be asking what foods to avoid? I know there are certain things that will hurt and kill my parrot.. I don't wanna make her sick or worse..
I appreciate all advice. I need it. I want her to thrive.. I've had many animals through life but never a tortoise or turtle. I've had my African Grey Parrot for about 19yrs. I also have 2 dogs; a boxer and a Bluetick Coon Hound. I use to have many fishtanks. Always been an animal lover and savior :<3:
Thank you!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
There are couple of good careguides at the top of the species section for South American tortoises.

It sounds like you're on the right track... temp and humidity in the 80s, a mixed diet of greens and veggies and fruit, with occasional animal protein.

FWIW, I use cypress mulch with my redfoot.

Jamie

LaurilAnne

South Suburbs, Illinois
Thank You for the reply.. I appreciate your response but as I said in my post, my red foot tries to eat the cypress mulch. Does yours? And I cant grow plants in it either. The humidity and temp are now up and shes more active. :)

IMG_2950.JPG IMG_2951.JPG

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thank You for the reply.. I appreciate your response but as I said in my post, my red foot tries to eat the cypress mulch. Does yours? And I cant grow plants in it either. The humidity and temp are now up and shes more active. :)

Mine does not try to eat the mulch, and I grow pothos for the enclosure in those little round screw-top tupperware containers, filled with wet cypress mulch... ir's great that she's active.

Jamie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Once you have her on the correct diet, and plenty of it, she will be less likely to try to eat the substrate, whatever it is. I don't think cypress mulch is bad, but I just have mine outdoors on natural earth and weeds so no experience with commercial stuff.
Reading the redfoot diet and giving her what is recommended is the most important thing along with the correct temps and humidity.
Maybe it's really not important to grow plants in the enclosure, except that it looks nice. It won't for long if she can get to them.

LaurilAnne

South Suburbs, Illinois
Thx for the replies. Shes def getting the good variety of stuff now. I hope she stops eating the substrate soon cuz I'd love to use the mulch. Its great for keeping plants etc moist. I am an animal/nature person with many house and garden plants. I've had many different animals. I feed all the animals inside and out. There are many conflicting care sheets and info online about red foots so I'm unsure whats what but am trying my best to make her cozy. I've got the heat and humidity up, the substrate issue is my main concern right now. I wanna prep the 75gal properly from the start cuz that's a lot of substrate being laid to have to redo it all over again..If shes a rain forest tortoise, than to me, enclosure plants are important. I have 5 plants growing in there at the moment and she doesn't eat them or really even mess with them. She plows over the cat grass but its expected. LOL. They are all edible for her if she'd like to eat them. That's what they're there for after all ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you sprinkle a little bit of Miner-all over the food it helps give them the minerals they're looking for in the substrate-eating. (Miner-all mfg'd by Sticky Tongue Farms). Also, redfooted tortoises need seeds in their diet. When they don't get the seeds they need, they eat the substrate or rocks. Papaya, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber - all these have the seeds the RF is looking for.

LaurilAnne

South Suburbs, Illinois
Thank you so much! She loves her melons! I'll be sure to include the seeds. I bought some Zilla vitamin supplement w/ beta carotene spray for the foods. My vet said Vitamin a deficiency can be an issue..