Indotestudo housing together

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
How well do the indotestudos get along if at all? More like red foots or Russians I am wondering because ive seen a few people have groups of them. Thanks for any replys [emoji2]

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I don't know how groups of elongatas work together but I know many people (breeders) who keep them together!
Forstenii I know could be difficult to keep together.. Also females could be aggressive to each other.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Can't speak for elongata, but when I got my group of forstenii I was warned against housing them together. I've managed to keep two females together without issue, but males will violently ram each other, and males and females attempt to mate which can be pretty aggressive. I wouldn't advise housing a male and female together full time, and I've heard the same from more experienced keepers. You can get lucky and maybe keep two females together, though.
As Juli said, I've seen a lot of people housing elongated's together, and I assume they don't have as much of an issue…?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Can't speak for elongata, but when I got my group of forstenii I was warned against housing them together. I've managed to keep two females together without issue, but males will violently ram each other, and males and females attempt to mate which can be pretty aggressive. I wouldn't advise housing a male and female together full time, and I've heard the same from more experienced keepers. You can get lucky and maybe keep two females together, though.
As Juli said, I've seen a lot of people housing elongated's together, and I assume they don't have as much of an issue…?

So yes.. As I spoke with an friend of mine who keeps forstenii he said the same like you.. But he said that you can't keeps females together but if it works with your animals than it is maybe different from animal to animal...
Yes elongata shouldn't be problem I kept elongata some time ago and I never have problems and I keep them together... Also a breeder friend of mine keeps very big animals together in an enclosure which is not the biggest and he also hasn't got problem..

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Forstenii will vary by individual. Elongata seem to get along better but can still be relatively aggressive at times.