Indoors or outdoors??

Jackf22

Location (City and/or State)
Leicestershire
Hi guys,

I have a (roughly) 2 year old Russian tortoise that currently lives inside in a large table I’ve built for him, he has coco coir for substrate, a basking area with a humid hide, shade and everything else he needs. But I’m just unsure if he should be inside? He’s only small currently so I’d worry about either loosing him or him being carried off, and as he’s so small I’d also worry about the cold, he seems happy inside and my current house is rented so I’m not in a position to start digging the garden up to
Make him a run, any advice would be really appreciate, thanks guys!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They should be able to live outside in warm temps/summer and inside in cold temps/winter.
Mine lives outside in summer and in basement enclosure for winter.
My leopards are in a heated shed for winter.
You can lay metal fencing on the ground and fencing he can't climb or slip thru around the edges of the ground fence. This way he can't dig out and weeds and flowers can still grow thru.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
With our climate cold. wet, windy weather I would say inside for the winter especially as he's so young.

Jackf22

Leicestershire
Thanks,
When I do put him out do I need to make sure only certain things can grow? And show there still be a form of heater out there for him?? Thanks

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcoome.... Definitely indoors in a heated closed enclosure for around 80% of the year. On occasional hot UK days you can make a temp secure enclosure using breeze blocks in an oblong with some wire on top .
Please read this care sheet and check settings to ensure smooth slow shell growth.

Russians aka escape artists ?

Enjoy your new shelled warrior.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks,
When I do put him out do I need to make sure only certain things can grow? And show there still be a form of heater out there for him?? Thanks
No heat is needed when outside. Bring him in at night to sleep. Russians can have night temps at 60F. Day temps outside you want 70 F shaded areas is fine but much warmer in the sun, 80-95F so he can bask.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
UK is currently 3 degs C with snow so inside and warm is important.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No heat is needed when outside. Bring him in at night to sleep. Russians can have night temps at 60F. Day temps outside you want 70 F shaded areas is fine but much warmer in the sun, 80-95F so he can bask.
Forgot to answer the growing of stuff. Yes, you would have to be sure no poisonous weeds and flowers were in the enclosure.