Indoor Torts

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Do captive bred tortoises prefer to be kept indoors rather than an outdoor enclosures? These 2 lil guys have been with me since they hatched (1/12). I started them on the wet rountine but struggled keeping humidity consistant. I bring them in during the cooler months and strictly outdoors during the summer. I noticed they were very shy in the outdoor enclosure and sulcata active indoors. The indoor temps are low 90s in the basking area and low to mid 80s on the cooler side. Outdoor weather varies but I don't leave them outside below 75. Both measure 6 inches and I'm certain they are males.

20131129_104034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My answer to your question is NO, they do not prefer to be housed indoors. (I asked my torts but they didn't answer me so this is an assumption on my part) ;)
As long as an adequate outdoor enclosure is provided I think outdoors is always best.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Mine all prefer indoor during football season. Sure the living-room gets trashed, but I can always blame the tortoises!!
OP, sorry for the none answer.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
At that age I have read on here that they should be outside as much as possible. Smaller ones within a year the advice that is mostly given is to have them inside most of the time with outside sun for half to a full hour a day.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Saleama said:
At that age I have read on here that they should be outside as much as possible. Smaller ones within a year the advice that is mostly given is to have them inside most of the time with outside sun for half to a full hour a day.

Good clarification. Thank you.

The reason for sulcata and leopard <yearlings to be housed indoors as much as possible is for the humid environment.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Team Gomberg said:
Saleama said:

Good clarification. Thank you.

The reason for sulcata and leopard <yearlings to be housed indoors as much as possible is for the humid environment.

While we are here on this topic, is it a time thing or a size thing?What I mean is, I have five Sullys that are all the same age. My biggest is 145 grams and the smallest, the same age, is 67 grams. Both healthy and eat like pigs. Should I keep the smaller one indoors after the larger one goes outside permanently because he is smaller despite the fact that he is exactly the same age as the large one? Am I making sense?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Its a size thing.
With sullies I have read that 8" - 10" is the safe zone to move outside regardless of humidity without the worry of pyramiding.

We are still trying to figure out the safe size range for leopards.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Cowboy_Ken said:
Are these guys together?

Yes they are..the indoor enclosure is roughly 4 feet in length and 2 feet in width. Do u think they become territorial when they are in close proximity and I mistaken this for being "active"?

I've redone the outdoor enclosure since I took this pic..but its about 4 feet wide and 11 feet long.

Attachments

• 20121023_144251.jpg
    20121023_144251.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 92

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
It is almost certain that some sort of bullying is going on. Even if not noticed by you. It might be as subtle as intimidation. One does get the prime basking site, the best food, etc. if the enclosure isn't large enough for them to not really come in contact with each other then it's always a big possibility.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Cowboy_Ken said:
It is almost certain that some sort of bullying is going on. Even if not noticed by you. It might be as subtle as intimidation. One does get the prime basking site, the best food, etc. if the enclosure isn't large enough for them to not really come in contact with each other then it's always a big possibility.

Holy moly you might be right...one spends most of the time roaming the enclosure and the other one in the hide or bushes. This behavior has been going on since they were hatchlings... I have a bully!

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Update: I seperated the duo and their is a noticable change in personality. Eventually im going to have to part with one. I still can't figure out which one is the bully.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
That's great! How fascinating that is. I am convinced that leos should come as trios. That seems to be a good thing. Did you say part with one? I say, get another! : )