Indoor mulberry?

taza

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
Is a weeping mulberry the same as the ones you speak of? I have one in my backyard is it safe to feed as well?62d7813f93b5601bd5895ea28b8226ec.jpg

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Mine is a dwarf black mulberry. And I have been able to keep it under 6 feet by training and trimming. My Redfoot like the leaves and berries. However our local wild parrots have discovered the berries too....
Good to know, I can handle moving a 6 foot tree into the house or garage, or I should say a second 6 foot tree since the hibiscus is already nearly that size.
And wild parrots? Color me jealous! Not that I don't love our local native birds, but parrots would be so cool! I would plant them anything they wanted!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Good to know, I can handle moving a 6 foot tree into the house or garage, or I should say a second 6 foot tree since the hibiscus is already nearly that size.
And wild parrots? Color me jealous! Not that I don't love our local native birds, but parrots would be so cool! I would plant them anything they wanted!
All of the exotics get old pretty fast...

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
All of the exotics get old pretty fast...
Maybe for you! I have been in Minnesota for all of my 45.5 years on earth and I still get giddy like a school girl with every chipmunk, rabbit, hummingbird, eagle, raccoon.... I am a huge dork when it comes to beasties, they never get old! :D

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
OH! And my 2 dwarf black mulberry trees arrived yesterday! They look wonderful and healthy and bigger than I expected! Probably a foot high, but of course quite thin and not filled out yet. I changed out the dirt with some good organic soil and fed them a bit, but I will need a bigger pot so they will be transplanted again when I pick one up. Now to wait for enough leaves to let Odin sample them. SO excited!

AND! My hardy mulberry seeds will arrive any day so I can get those going and hopefully they will be big enough by fall to put in the ground permanently. I thought about direct seeding them in the yard, but I have a feeling there is a pesky tort who would nom them as soon as they sprouted.:eek:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
OH! And my 2 dwarf black mulberry trees arrived yesterday! They look wonderful and healthy and bigger than I expected! Probably a foot high, but of course quite thin and not filled out yet. I changed out the dirt with some good organic soil and fed them a bit, but I will need a bigger pot so they will be transplanted again when I pick one up. Now to wait for enough leaves to let Odin sample them. SO excited!

AND! My hardy mulberry seeds will arrive any day so I can get those going and hopefully they will be big enough by fall to put in the ground permanently. I thought about direct seeding them in the yard, but I have a feeling there is a pesky tort who would nom them as soon as they sprouted.:eek:
Mine like the baby leaves. Before they get fuzzy feeling.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia

Can you tell me where you ordered those dwarf mulberry trees? I've been searching for one for my Leopards.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I got some cutting from a white mulberry off amazon last November and started them in my rep room over the winter, they done great all winter long and then when I stuck em outside they all lost their leaves and look dead. I noticed one has some new leaves coming out so maybe it will make it. I did them like I do all my plants when putting them out, I ease them into the yard after they have set in the house all winter as to not shock them or sunburn. Course my cactus did the same as the mulberry, it was doing wonderful all winter and I put it out and it started rotting. Makes me think perhaps it's a water issue. The cactus got put in a full sun spot on the covered porch and it's now making a come back too but I'm still kinda wondering about the mulberry cuttings.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I got some cutting from a white mulberry off amazon last November and started them in my rep room over the winter, they done great all winter long and then when I stuck em outside they all lost their leaves and look dead. I noticed one has some new leaves coming out so maybe it will make it. I did them like I do all my plants when putting them out, I ease them into the yard after they have set in the house all winter as to not shock them or sunburn. Course my cactus did the same as the mulberry, it was doing wonderful all winter and I put it out and it started rotting. Makes me think perhaps it's a water issue. The cactus got put in a full sun spot on the covered porch and it's now making a come back too but I'm still kinda wondering about the mulberry cuttings.
All of the plants I move from indoor to outdoor have adaptation issues of that sort when I move them, but with some love and patience they always rebound wonderfully.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
All of the plants I move from indoor to outdoor have adaptation issues of that sort when I move them, but with some love and patience they always rebound wonderfully.
Ok. I was worried. I grow tropical stuff and are use to how they act each season but I have never attempted to grow mulberry, a tree, or cutting over winter before so I was worried. Like yourself, I attempt to grow anything good for my torts and my climate requires something's to come in and out seasonally. I was hoping the mulberry cuttings would be big enough to actually plant out this summer but I don't think their going to get big enough this year due to their set back. Thanks for your advise!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Ok. I was worried. I grow tropical stuff and are use to how they act each season but I have never attempted to grow mulberry, a tree, or cutting over winter before so I was worried. Like yourself, I attempt to grow anything good for my torts and my climate requires something's to come in and out seasonally. I was hoping the mulberry cuttings would be big enough to actually plant out this summer but I don't think their going to get big enough this year due to their set back. Thanks for your advise!
Mulberrys are deciduous, so they do need cooler / cold temps over the winter and they do drop their leaves. The type of mulberry is the deciding factor as to how cold. The "indoor" ones I have (black mulberry) are only hardy to zone 5, so there is a chance they could survive some of our winters, but it's not a guarantee. So, I will move them into the garage over the winter so they can get their rest without being directly subjected to our often well-below-freezing temps.
The white mulberry on the other hand, are hardy to zone 4, so I plan on putting some seeds out this fall and hope they come up in the spring. I also plan on starting a few seedlings indoors, just in case they don't, and transplanting them outside in the spring. The seeds are in the fridge as we speak getting their cold treatment!