Indoor home for a redfoot

KatJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
My redfoot seems VERY small for her age, as she had two upper respiratory infections very early in life (the place I got her from had the worst enclosure for baby redfoots that I have ever seen in my life). She's about three, and still only six inches or so.

My plan is to take an old bookshelf of ours (2x6), take the shelves out, and line it with a shower curtain. Then I'll install something like a raised shower rod to hold lights and hanging plants for humidity.

My questions are::
Does anyone use a heat mat for their redfoot, and where would one place a heat mat in a set up like what I am proposing?
What is a good hygrometer to measure humidity in an open-topped environment like this?

And lastly....
What do you all recommend for outdoors? This will be her indoor enclosure, but I want to be able to put her outside in the summers. I have a huge plastic pool (4x7ish) that could be used (likely topped with chicken wire), as we get a lot of rain, and that would drain easily. However, I was wondering about heat and basking bulbs and how to handle those electrical components, if they would even be needed. Our summers here are hot and humid already.

Acorn87

I like the idea of using a shower rod for plants and lights. I would recommend against heating mats for any reptile as they can get too hot..
I'm not experienced enough to answer your other questions but hopefully someone will soon.