Indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamegirl

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the advice on which species of tort to get. So supposing I get a Russian, Greek or Hermanns, what type of indoor environment should they have? I have a plastic Xmas tree storage tub that measures 20"X50" that I'd like to use. It once housed my African, pigmy hedgehog (RIP, Mrs Hufflepuff) and is now cleaned and disinfected and ready to go. I use one of my spare bedrooms as my critter room. It gets lots of morning sun exposure and I keep it alot warmer (75 degrees) than the rest of the house. Since my hedgehog died, the only resident in there right now is my ball python.
I was planning to use coconut coir/sand/soil/leaf mulch for the substrate but am concerned it might be too moist. I understand the European torts live in semi-arid areas. What humidity should the enclosure be? I plan on using a mercury UVA/UVB for basking/heat. What should the basking temp be? Since that room is always at least 75 degrees do I need a ceramic heat emitter too? I am going to make a wooden box for its hide (my husband is a carpenter and I always have a bunch of wood scraps around). Should I put the heat inside that? Should I leave off the floor so the tort can burrow in the substrate or should I make a floor on it and put hay in the box for bedding? I was going to put a small cat litter pan in for drinking and soaking on the other end. How often should the water be changed--daily? Sorry, I have so many questions, but I want to get it right so my tort is healthy and happy. I would eventually like to make an outdoor enclosure for my tort after I get the indoor one up and running. I've seen a lot of great ones on this forum!!! Thanks for your help!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Hi, a christmas tree storage tub should be ok. I use coconut coir/cypress as substrate. Sand can be irritating to a tortoise as it has a tendency to stick on the tort and food. You want it to hold some moisture, but not be saturated. Will the tub be kept on the floor? Is the temp there always 75? I personally believe yes, they are the hardier torts that can tolerate lower temps, but not too low, it isn't good for digestion. All the hides in my enclosures don't have bottoms, just substrate. Yes the water should be changed daily, if the tort doesn't defecate in the water I'll usually just dump the water over the substrate to re-moisten it in the morning and refill the water bowl.

Squirtle Time

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I'm not a tortoise expert so I can't give you a lot of advice in fear that it could be incorrect, however, I just got a Russian and I put a pile of hay in one corner of it enclosure and it loves to burry itself in the hay over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.