Indoor enclosure

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
And to keep myself busy whilst sad reality programmes are on TV, I have been having a go at creating a barrier for my slope up to the top level of the caves with bamboo and twine. Very frustrating at 1st. Got the hang of it now. This is 4' long with gaps about 4" max, so my smallest sub adult cant fall through it. Made of 2" diameter bamboo.
You can see on the right there is one piece missing, my plan is to fix one here when it's in situ, but make this one look as if it comes from the floor and through the ceiling.(about 7ft) Then grow a plant up this one. Was thinking a Swiss cheese plant.
Does anyone know if I will be OK using a Swiss cheese plant?
View attachment 155595
Would love to get some bamboo. It is hard to find and exspensive.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Today I changed my ambient lighting from LED to standard IP65 strip lights. I now have 3 x 36w strip lights(4ft) instead of 10 x 10w Colored LED's. I originally used red,blue and white LED's in hope plants grew and flowered. It failed. It's a lot brighter now so I'll give it another shot with some new plants, I was planning on putting 4 strip lights in but there is no need.
Not impressed with LED's in general. They have a life span of supposedly 30000 hrs. Load of beep. Ive changed no end of LED chips. The same system also comes in the new machinery we have at work and they are so temperamental. Chip LED's get thumbs down from me. Booooooh.
Hope everyone had a good xmas and holiday.
:D
IMG_1851.JPG

dwright27

5 Year Member
I just found this thread and holy moly!! This is AMAZING and I'm incredibly envious!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Anyfoot : How is the tortoise room holding up? Plants staying alive? Water feature working as you had hoped?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
@Anyfoot : How is the tortoise room holding up? Plants staying alive? Water feature working as you had hoped?
I’ll get some photos for you. Keep saying I will and never have time. Really busy this last yr with work and DIY.
I’ve given up on plants, they destroy and eat everything except palms.
The pond is good and still works fine. I changed the water circulation to something more simple. Still got the same pump, but it pumps out into fine poly pipe into a hanginging basket that has coir lining in it. This then filters back into pond. I just change the hanging basket coir liner every month or so

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Craig, what an AMAZING job you've done.
And you've done it in a pretty inhospitable environment for Redfoot.
Everytime I watch one of your posts, it makes me want to do more with my own enclosure.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I love how all your hardwork payed off. Cleaning the bricks made this structure blend right in. How your neighbors must react when you tell them it a tortoise fairy land! Awesome

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I keep saying I’ll get some updated photos but never get around it. I’ve got a bit of tidying up to do and refresh some stuff. On the whole it’s the same as it was at the start, minus the plants. Plants just get eaten so I’ve given up on them.
The bloody things just keep breeding if I don’t keep on top of egg collection. I dread every day that I’ll find another clutch surfaced. Don’t need any more babies and good homes are hard to find over here. Think I scare most potential owners off TBH. I’m considering extending this tort house with a conservatory type area. So they can use that area in the winter months. Believe it or not we have a lot of cold clear sky winter days that a conservatory would benefit from winter IR to semi warm it up naturally whilst my tort house would be the heated refuge for them to retreat to when too cool.

I just have too much DIY ing in my house to do at the moment and for the last couple of yrs, Hopefully my house will be complete mid summer then I can get back to concentrating on tortoises.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Anyway for you to set up some grow tubs up out of there reach so you could start cycling them. Say like six planters that you could start about one week from each other. So as one gets to eaten another is alomost ready to go down. I have some window box planters that are 36 inches long but only 8 inches wide. You could start them on the walls . Otherwise for any plants just start them in PVC pipe 4" or larger to protect them from being eaten sorta of like a safety collar so they can grow up and out. Otherwise not to bad of a problem to have after ALL THE HARD WORK you already did. I mean DAMN DUDE REALLY! and i like to say "Torting ain't easy"