Indoor enclosure- where do you keep yours?

Jami

Newbie question # 601, LOL....

I kept my first hatchling in his tank in our living room against one of the walls of our kitchen. I feel like he was exposed to a lot of cooking smells and when I run the dishwasher I can smell the lemon scent of the detergent....I'd like to keep my new hatchling in the same place. He's not in the kitchen...but he'll be close to the doorway....

I'd like to keep him here as this is where we spend most of our time so I can check on him very easily...I can put him in a back room, but it's used for my scrapbooking so I'm not in there much most days...

His tank has a screen cover so I'm hoping a lot of the smells, etc don't get to him much. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jami

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like a great place. Just a warning though, a screen top blocks a lot of the UVB from reaching your tort.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have a family room we do not use for anything really, just the hubby & me, so I have made it my tort room!

Jami

Sounds like a great place. Just a warning though, a screen top blocks a lot of the UVB from reaching your tort.
Thanks...I've cut a hole for the light. When I'm here I can take the top off too. Thanks!

Jami

I have a family room we do not use for anything really, just the hubby & me, so I have made it my tort room!
Hi again. Just me and my hubby too...and the two dogs & two cats. My dining room is kind of like that so it may become more of the tort area when I need the bigger enclosure. I hope I get to the point where I need the bigger enclosure! ;)

Flipper

MO, USA
Mine is in the basement :( the rest of our living areas are taken up with fish tanks :)

When it gets cooler, I think I may bring Tallula and her enclosure up into the spare bedroom. But I have a feeling this is going to cause problems with my husband :( he's not in love with my fish/tortoise (terd)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi again. Just me and my hubby too...and the two dogs & two cats. My dining room is kind of like that so it may become more of the tort area when I need the bigger enclosure. I hope I get to the point where I need the bigger enclosure! ;)

Ha! The enclosure is never big enough :)

Jami

Mine is in the basement :( the rest of our living areas are taken up with fish tanks :)

When it gets cooler, I think I may bring Tallula and her enclosure up into the spare bedroom. But I have a feeling this is going to cause problems with my husband :( he's not in love with my fish/tortoise (terd)
I loved having fish! Your hubby sounds a bit like mine!!! :D

Jami

Ha! The enclosure is never big enough :)
That's what I'm hearing! But until this one grows he's stuck in the tank! I guess it's really called a critter cage. I'm going to put a bunch of his stuff in and go from there. I think I'm going to make one back corner be the basking spot so I get more temp variations. I need more hardware cloth to cut a new hole in to cover the tank. My temp gun will be here Wednesday! Yay!

My poor Puggle hates storms and were on the outskirts of a real thunder boomer. She's pacing and not letting me type well or do the enclosure!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I sometimes have baby tanks in my laundry room...but mostly my "indoor" facilities are on the car port outside.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Flipper

MO, USA
That's what I'm hearing! But until this one grows he's stuck in the tank! I guess it's really called a critter cage. I'm going to put a bunch of his stuff in and go from there. I think I'm going to make one back corner be the basking spot so I get more temp variations. I need more hardware cloth to cut a new hole in to cover the tank. My temp gun will be here Wednesday! Yay!

My poor Puggle hates storms and were on the outskirts of a real thunder boomer. She's pacing and not letting me type well or do the enclosure!
What temp gun did you get?

Jami

Hi! I got this one from amazon. I think someone else had suggested it in a thread I read while trying to research everything again. It's this one:
Nubee® Temperature Gun Non-contact Infrared Thermometer w/ Laser Sight

Flipper

MO, USA
Hi! I got this one from amazon. I think someone else had suggested it in a thread I read while trying to research everything again. It's this one:
Nubee® Temperature Gun Non-contact Infrared Thermometer w/ Laser Sight
Oh! That doesn't seem too expensive :) I might need to get it too! Let us know what you think of it when it comes, please :)

Jami

Oh! That doesn't seem too expensive :) I might need to get it too! Let us know what you think of it when it comes, please :)
I thought so too. I would like to credit the person who had posted about it but I can't remember now, and I came across it by accident. I thought it was a good price too. Especially if you buy other things to get the free shipping! I'll let you know what I think. :p

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I have them all in my living room at this time. I just remodeled my sun-room and move them into there soon.