Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I just wanted to let everyone know that I am the one who split off quite a few (51 to be exact) argumentative posts from this thread. The OP has been able to get her idea across, and the dissenters were able to get their ideas across. I saw no reason to continue to beat this horse to death.

Some people keep their tortoises in the house. Some people allow the tortoise the run of the house. Some people keep their tortoises outside in pens. Some people allow the tortoise the run of the yard.

End of story.

Wewt: I'm sorry if any of us offended you. I hope you continue to read and post on the Forum. Everyone's opinion is welcomed here, and you have a different story to tell. Who is to say who is right and who is wrong.

(Wellington: I hope I didn't step on your toes. I know you were moderating this thread, but I thought it had gone on long enough)

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Thanks for the support, Yvonne!

Glad to say that I've got the temperatures all sorted out. When the house gets too cold, or I'm not at home, he goes to his playroom in the garage. I have big plans for the garage in a little while, once I have the cash for it.

My little tort is perfect, healthy, happy, and loves sleeping in his new "burrow". And I don't get to miss anything! Not the tappity tap of his little feet on the floor, or his yawns, or his wet farts. I get to enjoy every little ounce of my tort.

:)

Jd3

5 Year Member
Let's be clear. A tort that is half the size it should be isn't "healthy".

You can say whatever you want sitting around the drum circle holding hands and singing kumbayah. That doesn't change that this tort is tiny for its age.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I think my sulcata is on the light side. He's not too much smaller than the one in that link and he's only 5 lbs.

I've only had him 3 weeks, he's just now starting to show an appetite, and I'm still figuring out what he likes. He's unable to get most things in his mouth, so I'm learning just how to chop of the greens for him. Chopped too fine...he won't touch, too coarse...can't eat.

I'm going to weight him Monday and check.

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
"Larry" the Golden Greek..adopted
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
SenjiSandy said:
I think my sulcata is on the light side. He's not too much smaller than the one in that link and he's only 5 lbs.

I've only had him 3 weeks, he's just now starting to show an appetite, and I'm still figuring out what he likes. He's unable to get most things in his mouth, so I'm learning just how to chop of the greens for him. Chopped too fine...he won't touch, too coarse...can't eat.

I'm going to weight him Monday and check.

Sandy in Oregon

It's crazy how much their weight can fluctuate. Some days I pick him up and am surprised by how heavy he is. Other days, not so much.

Sounds like your tort is a picky eater! Glad he has a patient mama!

TJ1999

5 Year Member
Wewt said:
ra94131 said:
I really don't think anyone has been particularly rude. Expressing disagreement does not have to be rude and I believe the OP aknowledged herself that her methods are controversial. Discussing them in a reasonable manner seems to be the natural course of action and the only way to share/refine ideas.

No, you are exactly right. I started this thread knowing that not too many other people have their tortoises living with them in their house like this and was prepared to discuss it. In my opinion, as long as your tortoise is healthy, happy, and not neglected, then you are doing a good job. Of course, there is always room for improvement!

lindseyjordan10 said:
Don't listen to all of the negativity. You weren't asking for anyones opinion. You just wanted to show how you raise your tortoise and if the vet said he is healthy then obviously you are doing something right. It's funny how it can be said that people don't speak up and aren't too quick to judge, but when theres so much negativity it makes people not want to come on here and ask for help because people are so nervous about being criticized on here. So those people who are afraid to post comments and get help may actually be the ones who need help. I am an example of that. I have questions about my sulcata from time to time but dont like to ask because i dont want to deal with the rudeness. If your told by your vet he is healthy then that is all that matters and if you want to raise him inside your house and clean up his poop and pee then that is your choice!! If people are posting on here it's obviously because they want to do the best they can. Its supposed to be a place to share and get help!

Thank you, I appreciate you standing up for me. :) I don't mind negative comments as long as they are all about constructive criticism. All I see here is criticism, no construction.

Jd3 said:
No... Temp. Substrate. Hides. Etc. this is serving the purpose of a dog or cat for you. Tortoise make terrible cats.

A
Dog bed is not where he should rest when needing to feel secure. Nature is inside this guy. You're just confusing him.

Let's consider a few things here.

1. I bought him when he was six years old from a person who was raising two Sulcatas together somewhere around Edmonton, Alberta. I don't know much about how she kept them except that they were together and my tortoise was bullying the other one, who was in "poor health", according to her, from such bullying.

2. If I hadn't purchased him, someone else with exactly the same circumstances would have, and he couldn't possibly have a better home outside of moving him to a warmer climate.

3. Even if I did have a huge outdoor enclosure with all of the stuff you insist are requirements, I live in Abbotsford, BC. He can only be outside for three months of the year, which still doesn't satisfy your requirements.

4. Have you ever lived with a tortoise inside? It doesn't sound like you have. He is an absolutely fantastic pet, loves to toodle around and get his head rubbed, walk on your feet, and snuggle up with you on the couch.

If you would like to see videos of him running about my place, happy as a clam, I can provide them. Also, he's never been too cold to "barely move to his warm area..." He dictates when he wakes up and goes to sleep based on the light coming in from the windows. In the summer he wakes up around 8am and goes to bed around 11pm, with tort naps etc. during the day. In the winter, with bad weather and cloud cover, he would be tricked into thinking that the day was 4 hours long. Concerned for his lack of time under his light, I stuck him under there for a sauna to ensure he received a proper amount of light, as dictated by my vet at the time.
A video of that would be so adorable! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I support your way of raising your tort because I think it sounds like a load of fun. :)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Wewt, not sure he's necessarily picky as he just can't functionally eat bigger items. He is the one missing half his face. :-/

I love my freaky, deformed Mo.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375499570.697282.jpg

Sandy in Oregon

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Baby turtles and tortoises have an extremely high mortality rate in the wild. They can never be certain to find adequate food or water. They are constantly looking over their shoulders. They borrow to regulate their body temperature. This tortoise is getting food, although I must say it sounds like much of the wrong kind and you should look into that, it is getting love and it has a safe place to be each and every night. There is no question that there could be improvements to the habitat. In fact, I have NEVER seen anyone post on here that did not think there could be improvements to their tortoise's habitat, even the guys everyone leans on for answers to their burning questions. Like Tom said, it could be better but it also could be way worse.

All of my babies are with me under the known fact that they will not stay with me if I do not make sure I can provide a better place for them when they get big, and big they will get! I made sure I had several options available before I began to rescue or purchase them. I have spent $500 this week alone to rescue 7 box turtles, all of which have perm homes to go to when I know they are well enough to go to them. Make sure you love your little guy enough to know when he might need that option as well is all I'm saying.

Snuggling in his blanket sounds to me like he is exactly able to mimic his need to borrow. Millions of years of evolution aside, burrowing is burrowing. I do not provide my guys with soil from their native land. They get moist coconut coir and they love it. Incidently, only one of my four Sulcies actually digs, the others just flop down under the night lamp or in ther hut.

I think all of the people on here speak out of love for the animals and you have to give them that. Nobody is judging to be cruel. Quite the oposite actually. I also think that these animals are quite a bit more intelligent than we give them credit for and quite a bit more adaptive as well. Go on youtube and you will find many videos of inside torts. There are tons of them that have been taught to use doggy doors and they come inside and go outside as they please.

To close, I have an ancient three toed box turtle I rescued from a bird cage. he has a nice tub full of damp, comfy substrate, a pool and plenty of food including a tray of fruit and greens and super worms to hunt, yet every night at lights out, he is restless. I started letting him walk around the apartment and he found a nice corner and promptly fell into a deep sleep. He loves it there. I don't know why but I do know that i feel better and aparently, so does he, when he noses into his corner and falls asleep.

To each his own. As long as you know that if this arrangement becomes bad for your guy you need to give him to a better one then I say go for it!

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
TJ1999 said:
A video of that would be so adorable! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I support your way of raising your tort because I think it sounds like a load of fun. :)

It is super cute! I think if you go through the last couple of pages there was videos of him toodling around, being a little weirdo. I might post another video. In the last condo he learned how to open up the big glass sliding door to get inside.

SenjiSandy said:
Wewt, not sure he's necessarily picky as he just can't functionally eat bigger items. He is the one missing half his face. :-/

I love my freaky, deformed Mo.

Sandy in Oregon

Awe, glad he has a really good mom to look after him!

Saleama said:
Baby turtles and tortoises have an extremely high mortality rate in the wild. They can never be certain to find adequate food or water. They are constantly looking over their shoulders. They borrow to regulate their body temperature. This tortoise is getting food, although I must say it sounds like much of the wrong kind and you should look into that, it is getting love and it has a safe place to be each and every night. There is no question that there could be improvements to the habitat. In fact, I have NEVER seen anyone post on here that did not think there could be improvements to their tortoise's habitat, even the guys everyone leans on for answers to their burning questions. Like Tom said, it could be better but it also could be way worse.

All of my babies are with me under the known fact that they will not stay with me if I do not make sure I can provide a better place for them when they get big, and big they will get! I made sure I had several options available before I began to rescue or purchase them. I have spent $500 this week alone to rescue 7 box turtles, all of which have perm homes to go to when I know they are well enough to go to them. Make sure you love your little guy enough to know when he might need that option as well is all I'm saying.

Snuggling in his blanket sounds to me like he is exactly able to mimic his need to borrow. Millions of years of evolution aside, burrowing is burrowing. I do not provide my guys with soil from their native land. They get moist coconut coir and they love it. Incidently, only one of my four Sulcies actually digs, the others just flop down under the night lamp or in ther hut.

I think all of the people on here speak out of love for the animals and you have to give them that. Nobody is judging to be cruel. Quite the oposite actually. I also think that these animals are quite a bit more intelligent than we give them credit for and quite a bit more adaptive as well. Go on youtube and you will find many videos of inside torts. There are tons of them that have been taught to use doggy doors and they come inside and go outside as they please.

To close, I have an ancient three toed box turtle I rescued from a bird cage. he has a nice tub full of damp, comfy substrate, a pool and plenty of food including a tray of fruit and greens and super worms to hunt, yet every night at lights out, he is restless. I started letting him walk around the apartment and he found a nice corner and promptly fell into a deep sleep. He loves it there. I don't know why but I do know that i feel better and aparently, so does he, when he noses into his corner and falls asleep.

To each his own. As long as you know that if this arrangement becomes bad for your guy you need to give him to a better one then I say go for it!

As far as I know he is getting all of the right kinds of food. I've learned of Mazuri recently and would like to get him some. But other than that, plenty of fresh grazing and hay for him to eat, with the occasional carrot or veggie as a treat.

So awesome of you to adopt tortoises like that and care about where they are going. I wish more people were that caring about where their tortoises ended up. It's not fair that my little guy's been to at least three homes already in his short life. Don't worry, we will have a yard in about five years' time, right when he gets super big, and he will have complete run of the yard as well as the house.

Your tortoise sleeping on the floor is so cute! They find a special area they like... doesn't always make sense where they choose to sleep. I agree that we underestimate their intelligence and adaptability. After all, they have managed to survive past most other species'.

Status
Not open for further replies.