Indoor "Enclosure" Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wewt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia, Canada
Hello!

From what I've learned, I have a pretty unusual way of keeping my Sulcata tortoise. He is 25ish pounds, eight years old, and lives in my house. I got him two years ago from a lady that specifically sold him to me because I planned on having him wander around my condo. I researched the sulcatas for what they ate and what they needed as far as lighting and heat goes, but other than that... I had to learn the hard way.

Anyways, here are the two set-ups I've had since we got him.

The 600 sq. ft. condo in Calgary, Alberta, Canada:

In the above area he has his UV/heat lamp nestled against a very large planter (which ruined the hardwood floor, lol), and then two smaller planters. They have day lillies, which he can eat, and a clamatis, which he cannot eat. The plants all ended up dying because there wasn't enough sunshine. 8(
We had a slight problem in the winter of him just wanting to sleep all day- the days were so short and so he wouldn't want to be up for more than a few hours. We then put him in his space, blocked him in, and then draped a blanket over the whole area to make a little sauna thing. He'd spend about two hours a day in there, but only with supervision.

The townhouse in Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada:

Here we have him set up in our living room with two white boards against the wall to minimize damages, as he likes to dig into his corner. This will also be able to adapt to another light so that his warm space can be bigger, with a super warm area in the middle.
He also has a nice big space in the garage with some cardboard boxes set up as hides and tunnels, with blankets in the hides for him to "dig" in. The garage opens up onto our small, shared green space, but within a week he had trampled a bush and worn down the grass until there was barely anything there. No yard for the tort. He goes to the park a few hours every 1-2 days, though.

In both enclosures, under his mat, there is a small warming pad. When it is bed time we turn off the lamp, put him on his warm pad, and cover him up with a big blanket so that he can feel safe and secure, like he would in a burrow. The blanket also helps trap heat from the pad.

And that's how I live with my tortoise!

Jd3

5 Year Member
I know you think this is cool and nice for him... But he has nothing of nature. It I much like putting you I'm a drab prison cell.

He needs dirt to dig into and grass to graze and burrow through. A dog bed is not a home for a tortoise.

You cannot keep your home the proper temp for him to be roaming freely all the time. Not unless you to are a reptile and/or cold blooded.

He needs a substrate that is like the earth... Not like a gymnasium.

I'd also think an 8 year old sully should weight considerably more than 25 lbs.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
I've been contemplating putting this post up for quite a while. I knew there would be negative comments, but I am fully prepared to have a good discussion about my set up and possibly debate about it, too.

I understand where you are coming from, but my tortoise is extremely happy and healthy. My vet said that he was in extremely good health and had a fantastic temperament. My tortoise, with this set up, also gets MUCH more stimulation than most tortoises would get. His space indoors is large, always with new things to explore. His space in the garage is lovely, and he is super active in there running in and out of his various spots for hiding. Every day, perhaps with a day skipped once a week, he goes to the park to roam and play for at least two hours each time. Often we will bring a picnic, a frisbee, and a good book, and spend the whole afternoon there.

I appreciate your concern, but my tort is very happy.

Also, about the weight: I've only had him for two years, and the lady before me had fed him terribly. She told me to feed him 80% fruits and veggies. Luckily, I had already done my own research and knew better than that.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Cowboy_Ken said:
So what are the average temps of your condo? Not on the wall, but on the floor?

30 degrees in his spot, and then a range of 20-28 degrees, depending on the time of day, cloud cover, etc. Not quite ideal, but he is well adapted to this lifestyle. He will sit under his light for 20 mins to an hour, get up, run around, and then go back to his light again. The garage is quite a bit warmer, from 25-30 degrees. Not sure how the temps will hold in the garage during the winter, though. Worst case, I grab a small room heater.

Living in Canada, there isn't much else to do to solve the problem of the cooler temperatures. Lots of people have Sulcatas here, though. There is one living at a local petting zoo who was a rescue (someone drilled holes in his shell to make handles, *gag*) and resides with a couple of bearded dragons and a rabbit, lol!

If I could live in California and have a giant backyard, I would. But I can't, so I do absolutely everything I can to make up for that.

Oh, also: I'm not sure who hatched him, but I am pretty sure he was hatched in Canada. The lady who had him previously lived north of Edmonton, Alberta, and kept him and another Sulcata in the same enclosure, which was a shed or small barn. So he's used to cooler temps, he's had it his whole life.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
I'll have to give praise to Wewt for being creative and loving his sulcata and doing the best he can. What more can you do? Unfortunately there's plenty of people who acquire these torts with no idea of how to take care of them and no idea of how big they'll get. At least he's informed and cares, that's more than half the battle. I agree, the best is a huge plot of land under ideal weather conditions all year long. But his tort is cared for, not abandon to die a slow death. Personally, I would love to get a sully, but living in Canada as well, I can't see myself getting such a huge tort. Ironically, that's half the charm of these animals, the fact they get so large. Heck, I'd splurge and get an aldabra if I had the right space! A+ for being creative and caring. Good luck, eh!

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
mchong9606 said:
I'll have to give praise to Wewt for being creative and loving his sulcata and doing the best he can. What more can you do? Unfortunately there's plenty of people who acquire these torts with no idea of how to take care of them and no idea of how big they'll get. At least he's informed and cares, that's more than half the battle. I agree, the best is a huge plot of land under ideal weather conditions all year long. But his tort is cared for, not abandon to die a slow death. Personally, I would love to get a sully, but living in Canada as well, I can't see myself getting such a huge tort. Ironically, that's half the charm of these animals, the fact they get so large. Heck, I'd splurge and get an aldabra if I had the right space! A+ for being creative and caring. Good luck, eh!

Yay, thanks for the good comment! I was worried I'd just get yelled at all night long.

(I'm a girl)

The way I look after my tortoise is different, which isn't necessarily bad. His temperature could be a little higher, which, I just learned, might have caused him to be stunted in size. My vet said that she's seen 50 year old Sulcatas not much bigger than him. Like the guy above me said, I do all I can.

:)

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
I think the way your raising your sulcata is amazing!!! So cool!! You are doing the best you can and if he's healthy and happy then that's all that matters. People are way too quick to judge on here. I think it's great the way you have it set up.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I don't mean to sound crass, or rude, but where does your tort go potty? My dog took 3 months to housebreak and stepping in his mess was troublesome, and he only weighed 12lbs lol. (I also should wear my glasses more often when I walk around barefoot..)

Regardless if it is conventional or not, I think both set ups were beautifully decorated and incorporated into your home. It's hard with animal furnishings to always do that.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
lindseyjordan10 said:
I think the way your raising your sulcata is amazing!!! So cool!! You are doing the best you can and if he's healthy and happy then that's all that matters. People are way too quick to judge on here. I think it's great the way you have it set up.

<3 Thank you! :)

When I first got my tortoise I thought everyone had them this way...

alysciaingram said:
I don't mean to sound crass, or rude, but where does your tort go potty? My dog took 3 months to housebreak and stepping in his mess was troublesome, and he only weighed 12lbs lol. (I also should wear my glasses more often when I walk around barefoot..)

Regardless if it is conventional or not, I think both set ups were beautifully decorated and incorporated into your home. It's hard with animal furnishings to always do that.

Haha! Very common question. He poops and pees on the floor. I am trying to train him to go on his pad, but I feel that these efforts are futile. We first pick/mop it up with a cloth or paper towel, and then we steam our floors every night. Sometimes he likes to run around and poop quite a bit, and this is when we stick him in the garage to play. :p

Thanks for the kind words! I like the plant set up a lot better, but it's too dark in the house for them.

Jd3

5 Year Member
Wewt said:
lindseyjordan10 said:

alysciaingram said:

Haha! Very common question. He poops and pees on the floor. I am trying to train him to go on his pad, but I feel that these efforts are futile. We first pick/mop it up with a cloth or paper towel, and then we steam our floors every night. Sometimes he likes to run around and poop quite a bit, and this is when we stick him in the garage to play. :p

Thanks for the kind words! I like the plant set up a lot better, but it's too dark in the house for them.

Salmonella is present in most tortoise intestinal tracts. In a normal situation this is contained and not on our living surfaces.

You have not magically adapted or evolved your tortoise to not want proper temps, or proper habitat.

It hasn't grown as much as it should in part because the temps are too low. You said it yourself. It went a long time barely moving... Because it was cold. They stop functioning when they aren't warm enough

You seem like you've read enough to know this isn't a good idea but gave yourself some justification as to how it is good for you and the tort. It isn't in either case.

Animal furnishings are about being proper for the animal. A dog bed does not replace a burrow.

People aren't too quick to judge. The opposite. They are afraid to hurt someone feelings and aren't open to how bad something like this is for everyone involved.

We haven't even talked about the other risk factors.

Co-habitating in a space with tortoise pee and poop all over is disgusting. I don't care how often you clean it.

Like I said. You've decided that you have enough info to think this is good, but it really isn't. The space gets as low as 68 degrees? So it has to muster up the strength to seek out a 2 sq foot warm spot...

But she it gets there it can't burrow or even rest on soil or grass. It gets a dog bed. That usually dogs don't even like.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Jd3 said:
Wewt said:
lindseyjordan10 said:

alysciaingram said:

Salmonella is present in most tortoise intestinal tracts. In a normal situation this is contained and not on our living surfaces.

You have not magically adapted or evolved your tortoise to not want proper temps, or proper habitat.

It hasn't grown as much as it should in part because the temps are too low. You said it yourself. It went a long time barely moving... Because it was cold. They stop functioning when they aren't warm enough

You seem like you've read enough to know this isn't a good idea but gave yourself some justification as to how it is good for you and the tort. It isn't in either case.

Animal furnishings are about being proper for the animal. A dog bed does not replace a burrow.

People aren't too quick to judge. The opposite. They are afraid to hurt someone feelings and aren't open to how bad something like this is for everyone involved.

We haven't even talked about the other risk factors.

Co-habitating in a space with tortoise pee and poop all over is disgusting. I don't care how often you clean it.

Like I said. You've decided that you have enough info to think this is good, but it really isn't. The space gets as low as 68 degrees? So it has to muster up the strength to seek out a 2 sq foot warm spot...

But she it gets there it can't burrow or even rest on soil or grass. It gets a dog bed. That usually dogs don't even like.

Sorry, I hate to disagree with you. You are more likely to get salmonella from a dog than you are from a tortoise, which is why they are legal to keep in BC but turtles are not. My house is very clean- I'd lick the floors to prove it to you. Besides, it's really not anyones business how clean someone else's house is, as long as the animals and children are comfortable.

Your argument is substantial, of course. I wish my tortoise lived in a huge savannah grassland with a 20ft burrow where he could walk five miles a day with the sun on his back and all the grass he could ever want. Is anyone providing this in captivity, other than zoos or people who live on acreages? No, I don't think so. I make up for my lacking of a burrow by getting him out into new, interesting places for him to explore, and letting him walk in a straight line for two hours at a time if he wants to. Most tortoise owners can't do that.

So, if we were to go with your argument, all zoos are terrible places for animals. No polar bear should be allowed out of Northern Canada, no penguins should be allowed out of the South pole, and no tigers or sloths or anything like that should be in captivity. That's just not how it works.

My tort was born and raised in Canada with cold conditions, and I am doing everything I can to ensure that he is the healthiest, happiest tort possible, aside from shipping him over to Africa. Being a little growth stunted isn't the end of the world- he got an A+ from the vet who said there was nothing she would change about the way I was raising him.

Also: lots of people post outdoor enclosures with igloo-type dog shelters that are just fine. My tortoise sleeps with a big, fluffy blanket under and on him with a warm pad underneath. He goes right to sleep and is safe, warm, and secure, just as if he were in a real burrow.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
While I respect your desire to own a Sulcata, I think you'll run into a lot of opposition on this forum for this. Most people here (myself included) do not subscribe to the "well, it could be worse" school of animal husbandry. Getting as close to ideal as possible in captivity is the goal.

That said, the tortoise does seem relatively healthy but you definitely need to get those temperatures up. (And if you ever relocate, try to find some dirt, grass, and sun.)

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
It may be a different way to raise a sully but hey if that's what is working for you good job! I really like how much you have changed your home and lifestyle just to make sure your tort is happy.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
ra94131 said:
While I respect your desire to own a Sulcata, I think you'll run into a lot of opposition on this forum for this. Most people here (myself included) do not subscribe to the "well, it could be worse" school of animal husbandry. Getting as close to ideal as possible in captivity is the goal.

That said, the tortoise does seem relatively healthy but you definitely need to get those temperatures up. (And if you ever relocate, try to find some dirt, grass, and sun.)

Haha, the only thing not 100% about his environment is the temperature. And, if you argue it, that he doesn't get to nestle up in the dirt at night. I realize that I will run into opposition, which is why I made this post. I've been on here long enough that I figured I should show people the way I am keeping my tort.

Eventually I'll build a house and have the entire backyard and main level of it designed around a huge tortoise. I already have the plans drawn up, so now we are just waiting a few years for everything else to fit into place. Until then, he is a very happy, healthy tortoise.

klinej50 said:
It may be a different way to raise a sully but hey if that's what is working for you good job! I really like how much you have changed your home and lifestyle just to make sure your tort is happy.

Thanks! Glad you appreciate it. :) All the changes he has made to us are positive-- sitting outside to do nothing for a few hours a day, making sure our house is super clean, and always having greens in the fridge. :p

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
Don't listen to all of the negativity. You weren't asking for anyones opinion. You just wanted to show how you raise your tortoise and if the vet said he is healthy then obviously you are doing something right. It's funny how it can be said that people don't speak up and aren't too quick to judge, but when theres so much negativity it makes people not want to come on here and ask for help because people are so nervous about being criticized on here. So those people who are afraid to post comments and get help may actually be the ones who need help. I am an example of that. I have questions about my sulcata from time to time but dont like to ask because i dont want to deal with the rudeness. If your told by your vet he is healthy then that is all that matters and if you want to raise him inside your house and clean up his poop and pee then that is your choice!! If people are posting on here it's obviously because they want to do the best they can. Its supposed to be a place to share and get help!

Jd3

5 Year Member
Wewt said:
ra94131 said:

Haha, the only thing not 100% about his environment is the temperature. And, if you argue it, that he doesn't get to nestle up in the dirt at night. I realize that I will run into opposition, which is why I made this post. I've been on here long enough that I figured I should show people the way I am keeping my tort.

Eventually I'll build a house and have the entire backyard and main level of it designed around a huge tortoise. I already have the plans drawn up, so now we are just waiting a few years for everything else to fit into place. Until then, he is a very happy, healthy tortoise.

klinej50 said:

Thanks! Glad you appreciate it. :) All the changes he has made to us are positive-- sitting outside to do nothing for a few hours a day, making sure our house is super clean, and always having greens in the fridge. :p

No... Temp. Substrate. Hides. Etc. this is serving the purpose of a dog or cat for you. Tortoise make terrible cats.

A
Dog bed is not where he should rest when needing to feel secure. Nature is inside this guy. You're just confusing him.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
lindseyjordan10 said:
Don't listen to all of the negativity. You weren't asking for anyones opinion. You just wanted to show how you raise your tortoise and if the vet said he is healthy then obviously you are doing something right. It's funny how it can be said that people don't speak up and aren't too quick to judge, but when theres so much negativity it makes people not want to come on here and ask for help because people are so nervous about being criticized on here. So those people who are afraid to post comments and get help may actually be the ones who need help. I am an example of that. I have questions about my sulcata from time to time but dont like to ask because i dont want to deal with the rudeness. If your told by your vet he is healthy then that is all that matters and if you want to raise him inside your house and clean up his poop and pee then that is your choice!! If people are posting on here it's obviously because they want to do the best they can. Its supposed to be a place to share and get help!

I really don't think anyone has been particularly rude. Expressing disagreement does not have to be rude and I believe the OP aknowledged herself that her methods are controversial. Discussing them in a reasonable manner seems to be the natural course of action and the only way to share/refine ideas.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
ra94131 said:
I really don't think anyone has been particularly rude. Expressing disagreement does not have to be rude and I believe the OP aknowledged herself that her methods are controversial. Discussing them in a reasonable manner seems to be the natural course of action and the only way to share/refine ideas.

No, you are exactly right. I started this thread knowing that not too many other people have their tortoises living with them in their house like this and was prepared to discuss it. In my opinion, as long as your tortoise is healthy, happy, and not neglected, then you are doing a good job. Of course, there is always room for improvement!

lindseyjordan10 said:

Thank you, I appreciate you standing up for me. :) I don't mind negative comments as long as they are all about constructive criticism. All I see here is criticism, no construction.

Jd3 said:
No... Temp. Substrate. Hides. Etc. this is serving the purpose of a dog or cat for you. Tortoise make terrible cats.

A
Dog bed is not where he should rest when needing to feel secure. Nature is inside this guy. You're just confusing him.

Let's consider a few things here.

1. I bought him when he was six years old from a person who was raising two Sulcatas together somewhere around Edmonton, Alberta. I don't know much about how she kept them except that they were together and my tortoise was bullying the other one, who was in "poor health", according to her, from such bullying.

2. If I hadn't purchased him, someone else with exactly the same circumstances would have, and he couldn't possibly have a better home outside of moving him to a warmer climate.

3. Even if I did have a huge outdoor enclosure with all of the stuff you insist are requirements, I live in Abbotsford, BC. He can only be outside for three months of the year, which still doesn't satisfy your requirements.

4. Have you ever lived with a tortoise inside? It doesn't sound like you have. He is an absolutely fantastic pet, loves to toodle around and get his head rubbed, walk on your feet, and snuggle up with you on the couch.

If you would like to see videos of him running about my place, happy as a clam, I can provide them. Also, he's never been too cold to "barely move to his warm area..." He dictates when he wakes up and goes to sleep based on the light coming in from the windows. In the summer he wakes up around 8am and goes to bed around 11pm, with tort naps etc. during the day. In the winter, with bad weather and cloud cover, he would be tricked into thinking that the day was 4 hours long. Concerned for his lack of time under his light, I stuck him under there for a sauna to ensure he received a proper amount of light, as dictated by my vet at the time.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
He's a lovely tort and it's clear he's dear to you. Question: is there any reason he couldn't have a kiddie pool full of some diggable substrate in his sleeping corner in lieu of a dog bed? I use orchid bark in my desert torts' indoor enclosure, and they just love burrowing into it at night. Something about digging in just makes torts so happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.