Indoor Enclosure for Juvenile Indian Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletrucker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana, USA
Hey everyone!

So I am moving into an apartment soon and it also happens to be time for a new enclosure for Taiki my juvenile Indian Star:

427992_10150613136597349_697747348_11481316_585161601_n.jpg

The enclosure is 6'x2'x2' and to the best of my knowledge the style is typically used for snakes or bearded dragons. I had been planning to build something like this and then I found a guy who used to deal reptiles and had had the exact thing I wanted built, but no longer needed it! All I need to do is mount lighting, put in the front sliding glass (or plexi, We will get to this point in a moment) and probably some vents. Its got some nice cabinets on the bottom for storage and it rolls!

I am really excited about this because it will give her more space than she currently has and will allow me to better control temperature and humidity (not to mention trap most of the dust that is currently coating my room, lol.)

I wanted to create this thread to share my progress with you all as well as to ask some advice. Right now I am trying to decide whether or not to go with actual glass or plexi on the front? She has some plexi on her current one but she has kind of scratched it all up. I am not sure if she would be able to do the same to glass or not. DO any of you have experience with using glass vs. plexi who could weigh in?

I am also looking into getting some small vent fans that are designed for entertainment cabinets and the like (to keep cabinets with DVD players and game consoles cool so stuff wont overheat) that have a thermastat included so it will kick on if it gets too hot. Especially since this is going to be all enclosed now where I am used to open top. Anyone have thoughts on this? I have found a couple interesting options but would be interested in what you guys might have used.

Thanks! More update will come as I have them!

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
id go with plexie simply because its cheaper and more easily obtained then glass (the exact size you need that is) but if you can find glass give it a try, i like the idea of the small fans to provide air circulation, especially since they are usually pretty quite just make sure they dont end up drying it out to much sorry that i cant contribute more my set ups are usually open top not "front loaders" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.