Indoor Enclosure For Adult Leopards

Snow Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia
Hey there.
I made a similar post in my introduction thread but figured this would be appropriate here.
Here are a few pictures of my enclosure, I would love have more indoor space for them. However it is easy to clean, they seem to enjoy the natural light and the air quality is excellent.
I built an insulated room in our garage, then built a raised platform. One of my main goals was to have an enclosure that could be hosed out and could be drained. I did not want to have to skimp on water when cleaning and I did not want to carry dirty water dishes around. The platform is covered with commercial lino and the edges are sealed. The platform slopes gently to the front towards the drains. I used built in laundry tubs with the front cut out as water dishes. They are a good size and are very easy to drain and clean. There are also shower bases so if they get too large for the laundry tubs then these will become the water dishes. The sinks and showers drain into 5 gallon pails that I can carry outside to dump.
Unfortunately the lino was too slippery for the tortoises to walk on. I put down some self adhesive traction tape but they are VERY abrasive and I worried that their shells would be damaged. So in desperation I put down sheets (Melissa Kaplan talk about using fabric as substrate on her website), oddly enough the Torts really seem content. The sheets absorb the urine without drying the air and give reasonable traction (I don't think it would work without the traction strips). It would not be suitable for young tortoises, they need a humid hide.
They each have a solar UVB/heat lamp and there is a heater underneath the platform that keeps the platform surface warm.
There is a removable divider between them if for some reason I only have one tortoise :( the other can have the whole space, it also makes it easier to clean.
The two things I think I would have done differently. Is to use outdoor decking (for traction) instead of linoleum, you can get some nice thick rubbery stuff now. I would have also tried to build a "barrier free" sloped entrance into the water dishes.
The outdoor space gives them each about 1/2 acre, there is a shed that I put them at night. There is always a mix of sun and shade, the top part gets quite dry but the bottom has a natural spring so there are some little (2' across 4" deep) pools they can sit in if they want. I also have a small pen near the house that is in a very hot sunny location. I use this in the spring and fall to put them out for an hour or two just to get a bit of sun.

IMG_0540.JPG IMG_6649.JPG IMG_6676.JPG IMG_6679.JPG IMG_6680.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks great. I can see that you've put a lot of thought and hard work into it. You can put substrate down and just spot clean every day.

I just leave their shed door open. They can come out if they want to, but if it's too cold for them they go back inside.

Looks like you live in the middle of the forest.

Prairie Mom

Very cool:)

We've always thought about installing a Janitor's mop closet bottom for our sulcata to soak in as she gets older. I think the shower base is a great idea!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Wow! Very impressive - I'm jealous now. Full of great ideas too like the shower basin. Thanks for sharing!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Looks really good. One caution, maybe already accounted for - the metal edge to the cut down laundry sink may not be any where near sharp enough an edge to cause harm to external limbs - but males externalize their penis, often when in water, then walk around fully expressed. If dragged over that edge, some damage may occur - THAT skin is less tough the the skin on limbs or neck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks real nice. I used the soft vinyl shower lining but with substrate down, coconut coir, it's not too slippery.
Good eye Will, woo, that would feel good for one of them.

Snow Leopard

10 Year Member!
British Columbia
Hi Will, we are on the same page.

Yes, I thought about the metal edging. It's all aluminum and before installing any of it I took a file, then sandpaper to all of the edges and corners. I had quite a pile of sparkly dust by the time I was finished. After installation I also went around and carefully checked along all the edges , corners and screw heads to ensure that there were no burrs or sharp spots.

The sinks have been working out great, I put marks on the floor so that I know exactly were to place the pails. Even if we had a floor drain in the garage I would not want the poop, hay and substrate to go down there. I'm sure it would plug up or get stinky. It's nice to be able to scrub with as much water as I want and not wonder what to do with it.

I have thought about putting in some substrate but they have been so content (reasonably active but not pacing) that I don't want to change anything. I have always used substrates in the past but they seem happier as it is. Air quality seems to be really important to these guys, any dust, odour or fumes and they start pacing. Who knows I might give it another shot.

Also, I used interlocking foam floor mats as insulation over the concrete, I will probably put another layer in next year.