INDIGO SNAKE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
I have an opportunity to get a CB hatchling indigo snake in a few weeks. Does or has anyone ever kept this species? Any experiences? Any information would be great! I have minimal experience with snakes. Thanks to all.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Make sure you have the proper permits and paperwork, otherwise you will be made example of in the State of Florida........

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
EricIvins said:
Make sure you have the proper permits and paperwork, otherwise you will be made example of in the State of Florida........

All worked out!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
The main thing I know about them besides how cool they are, is that they are poop machines. I have never talked to anyone that keeps them who didn't mention that within the first 30 seconds of talking about them.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I've worked a little bit with these guys. They grow extremely fast, but make sure they have a lot of room to roam. CB wont be as active as a WC, but at least a 12x3ft for an adult...as some specimens can reach 10-12ft especially if it orignated from Houston area. They love eating other snakes....gophers.....so rats are pretty good. Just make sure plenty of room to move because they will easily stress out.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
ALDABRAMAN said:
I have an opportunity to get a CB hatchling indigo snake in a few weeks. Does or has anyone ever kept this species? Any experiences? Any information would be great! I have minimal experience with snakes. Thanks to all.

I know you say you don't have much experience with snakes, but these guys have pretty typical snake heating/dietary requirements. This is made easier by your location, since these guys would thrive outdoors there. (If not for the factors that have resulted in their Federal status... so be sure to check to see what, if any, permit(s) you might need.) I hesitate to give specific care advice, but wanted to chime in because I think these guys are a really fascinating species. You don't see CB Indigos that often, so I'd say jump on it if you're interested.

My only personal experience is with the Texas subspecies which I've seen a few times in the wild and caught one which I kept as a teenager for a short time before releasing him. (Disclaimer: I do not suggest keeping WC Indigos.)

Fun Fact: I looked up the Eastern subspecies on Wikipedia and found this little tidbit:

"It often will cohabit with gopher tortoises in their underground burrows, although it will settle for armadillo holes, hollow logs, and debris piles when gopher tortoise burrows can't be found. Hunters, hoping to flush out rattlesnakes, often wind up accidentally killing indigo snakes when they illegally pour gasoline into the burrows of gopher tortoises (a practice referred to as "gassing"), even though the tortoises themselves are endangered and protected."

I guess they're fans of tortoises, too.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
JeffG said:
The main thing I know about them besides how cool they are, is that they are poop machines. I have never talked to anyone that keeps them who didn't mention that within the first 30 seconds of talking about them.

The breeder, and most i have spoken to say the same thing, they are messy eaters and poppers! They eat and thrash the food all around making the entire area bloody and when they poop, it resembles a hippo pooping! The new borns are feeding on pinkies at this point.

AustinASU said:
I've worked a little bit with these guys. They grow extremely fast, but make sure they have a lot of room to roam. CB wont be as active as a WC, but at least a 12x3ft for an adult...as some specimens can reach 10-12ft especially if it orignated from Houston area. They love eating other snakes....gophers.....so rats are pretty good. Just make sure plenty of room to move because they will easily stress out.

The breeders cages were about that size, thank you.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
AustinASU said:

You can probably keep a CB in a smaller enclosure, in my opinion. Like many snakes, these guys don't require a ton of space for their size. (Kind of the opposite for tortoises.) That said, if you do provide them a ton of space, be sure to give them secure hiding places. I've found the most important thing with most snakes is to ensure they have the proper temperature gradients w/ each zone being large enough to fit their entire body. If you can satisfy that, you'll have a happy snake.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
ra94131 said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

I know you say you don't have much experience with snakes, but these guys have pretty typical snake heating/dietary requirements. This is made easier by your location, since these guys would thrive outdoors there. (If not for the factors that have resulted in their Federal status... so be sure to check to see what, if any, permit(s) you might need.) I hesitate to give specific care advice, but wanted to chime in because I think these guys are a really fascinating species. You don't see CB Indigos that often, so I'd say jump on it if you're interested.

My only personal experience is with the Texas subspecies which I've seen a few times in the wild and caught one which I kept as a teenager for a short time before releasing him. (Disclaimer: I do not suggest keeping WC Indigos.)

Fun Fact: I looked up the Eastern subspecies on Wikipedia and found this little tidbit:

"It often will cohabit with gopher tortoises in their underground burrows, although it will settle for armadillo holes, hollow logs, and debris piles when gopher tortoise burrows can't be found. Hunters, hoping to flush out rattlesnakes, often wind up accidentally killing indigo snakes when they illegally pour gasoline into the burrows of gopher tortoises (a practice referred to as "gassing"), even though the tortoises themselves are endangered and protected."

I guess they're fans of tortoises, too.

Thank you, kinda excited!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I was gunna say about 50% min humidity, but that wont be a problem in florida lucky duck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One of my favorite species. Every year I keep resisting the urge, and every year I keep getting them offered. I've kept the Texas subsp., but never the Eastern. I have friends who have them and I just fawn all over theirs whenever I get the chance. They are great snakes Greg. You will love it. Very inquisitive and interactive. They just seem "smart". I too have heard about how messy they are, but found them no worse than any other reptile. My Texas indigo did poop more often than a similarly sized python, but it really wasn't all that bad. Not nearly as bad a s a tegu or monitor.

What I've been told about temps: They can not take heat. 80-85 is all you need during summer and down to 65-70 in winter. Many people try to keep them too hot. I questioned this since they come from Florida, and I was told they they retreat underground when the temps climb. This info is from the guy who has the largest collection of them in the world. He breeds a ton of them every year. He is out this way near me...

Status
Not open for further replies.