Indian stars breeding like crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuds

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maui, Hawaii
Hello all! I have 2 pairs of IS. I have 1 female that is 7" another female that is 6" and 2 males that are between 4.5" to 5". For the past 2 months they have been breeding like crazy, off and on all day. I keep them in an outdoor enclosure that is planted with bermuda grass, and some pasture grass that they use to hide in. They do have access to soil. My question is. With the frequency they have been mating, what are the chances they will lay eggs. I've had my stars for around 3yrs, but this is first year that I've put the 2 pairs together. This change has definetly made a difference in how the males interact with the females. For the most part, when the pairs were kept separately the males showed little interest in the females. Everything I've ever learned and experienced with other chelonians tells me they should, but my lack of experience with IS leaves me doubting. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
TBH I don't know much about stars, other than they are a very attractive species (I am a guy I can't call a turtle pretty) but if they are anythig like DT's and russians they may breed just to breed males anyways. I do hope you get some eggs though I would love to see some star babies.

spuds

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Maui, Hawaii
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I guess I can relate to the IS:). Practice makes perfect I guess. Only time will tell.
dmmj said:
TBH I don't know much about stars, other than they are a very attractive species (I am a guy I can't call a turtle pretty) but if they are anythig like DT's and russians they may breed just to breed males anyways. I do hope you get some eggs though I would love to see some star babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.