Indian star

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Wow, what a bummer. I can't imagine what I'd do if that happened to me; but, having a necropsy preformed would be expensive, and in my opinion, useless because your star probably died as a result of lack of proper husbandry. It could have started before you got him because most, if not all torts, will mask what ails them and go on as if nothing is wrong until it's too late. Sorry for your loss.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
bogart20 said:
Do you think it's a better idea to get a tort that can handle my local temps easier?
Or one that is easier to keep in captivity?
What makes stars so hard to keep in captivity?

What part of the world are you in?

I think the first thing you should do is try to nail down why your tortoise didn't make it, before considering another tortoise. If your tortoise was in good shape when you received him and his health deteriorated after that, there is a chance that something in your husbandry wasn't right. I'm not trying to throw the blame on you or anything. I have certainly had my share of husbandry mistakes. But when something like this happens it's important to consider everything so that it becomes a learning experience instead of a bad memory.

In my opinion stars are just as hardy and easy to maintain in captivity as any other tortoise.

bogart20

5 Year Member
I live in north west California in humboldt county.
I'm not really sure what I'm lookin for. I liked the stars cause they don't take up slot of space but still get medium sized! And they are absolutely stunning!
But then again idk of it would be easier for another species.
What makes star tortoises so hard to keep in captivity?????
Cause it seemed like my temps were ok and humidity was pretty good but I heard a few different things. Is it Normalish that babies die seemingly outta nowhere? Or did I mess up somewhere

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
bogart20 said:
I live in north west California in humboldt county.
I'm not really sure what I'm lookin for. I liked the stars cause they don't take up slot of space but still get medium sized! And they are absolutely stunning!
But then again idk of it would be easier for another species.
What makes star tortoises so hard to keep in captivity?????
Cause it seemed like my temps were ok and humidity was pretty good but I heard a few different things. Is it Normalish that babies die seemingly outta nowhere? Or did I mess up somewhere

Again, I don't think stars are any harder to maintain in captivity than any other tortoise. Perhaps others have different opinions, but having raised a few specimens I have not observed anything that would indicate the Indian Stars are more delicate.

Based on this thread, it doesn't seem like he died out of nowhere. It took 12 days from when you first posted to when he died, and that's a long time for a sick young tortoise. Looking through some of your old threads and looking at the pictures from when you first got him, it seems like he was doing well when you received him. He had some growth rings already and was eating. Because he deteriorated after that I would first guess that there was something wrong with your husbandry. I would suspect gut impaction was an issue since the tortoise was bloated. What type of substrate did you use?

bogart20

5 Year Member
At first I was using coco fiber and cypress mulch but I changed his substrate to some forest substrate. A week tops before he passed.
Your right that's quite z while to be sick. Plus the bit of time it took to realize he was sick as well....
It's not like he neccisarily died directly from being sick either

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
bogart20 said:
At first I was using coco fiber and cypress mulch but I changed his substrate to some forest substrate. A week tops before he passed.
Your right that's quite z while to be sick. Plus the bit of time it took to realize he was sick as well....
It's not like he neccisarily died directly from being sick either

Do not need these kind of substrates at all.
the best substrate for baby is Reptile carpet or just paper towel!

bogart20

5 Year Member
I have reptile carpet too! Dang I didn't even think of that.
Is substrate stressful for babies???

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
bogart20 said:
I have reptile carpet too! Dang I didn't even think of that.
Is substrate stressful for babies???

The Reptile carpet or paper towel is easy to clean and keep humidity! and no mess at all! I raised up all my babies by using these!
I am in Nor. Cal. as well!

tickle

5 Year Member
I am getting a Russian hatchling this week tron bcurtis in social.only 100$ and that iris a steal he has 1 left u can try one of them great torts with amazing personality.there also is a 3 year old radiated for sale on the sales pages here 2000$ allready started out looks beautifully and not so fragile maybe he will work pluss you woulpd be the envy of all.i am getting 2 radiated in the spring they just hatched I filled out license and paid for them allready just have to wait till they get a little bigger and finish. Building there enclosure.also you live in mountain conditions the Burmese mountain torts brown or black will thrive up by you.or go with some eastern boxies cheap verry easy to keep and beautifull.in about 8 years I will be breeding Russians radiated ans stars.I allready breed easterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.