Indian star tortoise humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingy21

5 Year Member
Hi,

Today I got myself a lovely little Indian star hatchling, this is my first tortoise and after researching the forums for the past year I thought I'd take the plunge with one of these beauties.

Anyway after reading Tom's posts on closed chambers and warm temps and high humidity preventing pyramiding. I thought I would give this route a go. Currently my humidity is usually between 80-90 and my temps are 95 in the basking area and 82 in the cold area. Through out the night It's 80.

So to my original question has anyone had any results from raising star tortoises this way?

Cheers

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Go to the star section and find some people that breed and post about stars and send them a PM.

I have seen several people raising stars this way, and it all seems good, but I don't have enough personal experience with stars to recommend housing them one way or the other.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
CLMoss said:
Hi, I will send you my hatchling culture sheet.

Best of luck & email me anytime.

Have you posted it before? Is it humid or dry? Can I check it out too?

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
Hi. I have tried out the "closed chamber, high humidity" method on my stars. Got them when they were 3 months old and are now just over a year old. Before I read Tom's post, I had them in an open chamber environment and could never keep the humidity above 40%. They wouldn't use their humid hides and surprise, surprise, ...they started to pyramid. That's when I changed everything around. They are now in a closed chamber viv and the humidity never gets below 75%. They also get a 30 minute soak everyday (they spend the first couple of minutes drinking). 6 months of this has completely halted the pyramiding. I believe the high temp, high humidity routine also switches on their metabolism as they have gone from 30-40g to 200-210g (rightly or wrongly).

As the new scute growth occurs at the edges of each scute, the little bumps on the shell seem to be separated by areas of flat growth (moving the pyramids apart)!!

A big thanks to everyone here on TFO!

Lingy21

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the replies, il carry on with the hot and humid way then if people are having good results with it.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Humidity seems to work well with stars, but I wouldn't go overboard with it, try to keep it under 85%, as a few have had problems keeping them at really high humidity. Do also offer drier, less humid areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.