Indian Star Tortoise Hatchling Cactus Question

Thundersnow

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Good afternoon,
I have more questions about feeding a 5 week old Indian Star tort. I am giving him organic mixed spring greens,alfalfa pieces I pick off of alfalfa cubes,Mazuri LS soaked in warm filtered water. He also has a Zoo Med Banquet Block which he shows no interest in.I see cactus is an important part of their diet.I need recommendations please of what kind of cactus and where to get it. Thanks88F224DC-00D3-4112-9BC6-289976804284.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Optunia cactus pads. Remove spines and chop up in tiny pieces for babies.
Depending on location you can pick them or look at Mexican groceries or I have even gotten them from whole foods.
Can be ordered online also

Thundersnow

Kentucky
I bought through mail order from Turtlestore.com 1 pound of the Optunia cactus pads.Geez these are big! I snipped off the end and cut up in little pieces then put it in his food dish.He doesn't like it at all. do I need to refrigerate the cactus pad that I cut?also dod. I need to refrigerate the other cactus pads that I haven't cut yet?How long are they good for and still safe for my lil hatchling to eat. He was born 4/22. He is so precious and seems like he's happy.he has been eating organic mixed greens( I take the spinach out),green pepper,cucumber,Mazuri LS soaked in filtered warm water drained and mashed I spread it on his lettuce so he will eat it and he does but he leaves a lot behind.